Nikon Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2

For some reason, my credit card company raised my credit limit a whole bunch recently, so I decided to go lens shopping online today. I have a D810 and a D5600 and Tamron's version of the Holy Trinity of zoom lenses, 15-30mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm, all f/2.8. But they are all the first generation of those lenses. The second generation (G2) came on the market in 2017. My usual go-to camera equipment online store is B&H Photo and I saved this lens to my Wish List last year and was looking at it again a few days ago.

Because of cookie tracking, I saw an ad on a website for this same lens at a much better price than B&H - about 300 bucks better. Walmart isn't known for photo equipment, at least not known to me, but the ad linked to Walmart, where I have an account mainly to get household items and the oil and filters I use for my Jeep. Turned out, the lens was being sold and shipped by TriState Camera through some kind of affiliate deal with Walmart. The price was $868, 331.00 cheaper than B&H. It also said only one was available. I just saw the same lens on ebay from the same seller for the same price: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens for Nikon F (AFA032N-700) 4960371006420 | eBay (that one also says it's the last one).

I'm always suspicious of great deals like that. It said it was a new item, came with everything Tamron puts in the box (caps, hood, bag) and even had free shipping. I hesitated for about an hour, then went ahead and bought it. Now I am going to worry until it arrives and I have a chance to use it because I think somehow I'm getting screwed. Maybe it will be seconds or damaged or some part missing - something that was the reason it was so damn much cheaper than a company that normally has prices as low as they get.

Have things changed with B&H? Is TriState Camera actually a scam? Or am I gonna receive a great new lens at a remarkably good price that I will enjoy for years to come? :D

It's ebay, everything's possible, I buy cheap lenses on internet all the time, a price that's one third cheaper than MSRP doesn't mean it's a scam. But please let us know.

TriState is also selling on ebay, but I bought mine on Walmart through the same seller.

I don't usually get suspicious of prices that are a little lower, but this is $331.00 lower than any other major photo equipment retailer.
The way I see it, is that Walmart has no control over the price that tristate is selling it at, it's as much a third party seller on eBay as it is a third party seller on Walmart, so not eBay but hardly much different.

A little more thoughts on this.

I've had a similar experience with Carriefour, 3rd party seller, crazy price.

Tamron regulates online prices. Some people sell cheaper when they can avoid the regulation, prices can be much lower, and might not even be grey market lenses. But you probably won't be able to register your lens.

Last edited:
Back