Nikon Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2 on Nikon Z6

emorgan451

Regular
Name
Eli
This is a follow-on thread to my comments in my telephoto for Nikon Z thread. I'll be discussing and showing focus performance in various scenarios using the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2 on an FTZ with a Nikon Z6.

The first set I'll show is my son walking really slowly towards me as he's looking at some of the plants near our house. This should be a 11 for 11 perfect focus in this scenario, and with this combo it never is. I'm shooting the H burst which is 5 or 5.5 fps with no blackout and using the wide area small box in this test, which I've found to be about equally as good as the dynamic. This is a perfectly fine mode with my other lenses. Keeping the focal length at 190mm and f 3.5 with 1/1600 SS with no VR to ensure that VR doesn't mess with acuity. He's probably about 20-25 ft from me as a guess. I believe this was set to release priority for this particular set. I've taken screenshots out of Capture NX so I can show the focus point. Showing an overall image from shot 1, then just 100% view of the rest of the 10 in the burst.

Results are 4/11 for good focus

Shot 1 is good
Shot 1 full.jpg
Shot 1 100%.jpg

Shot 2 is soft on the eyes, you can see the shoulders are in focus now like it didn't move the focal plane from shot 1
Shot 2 100%.jpg

Shot 3 is soft, full image shows that focus is a few inches in front of the face
Shot 3 100%.jpg

Shot 3 #2 (haha missed this one in the burst at first) is good
Shot 3-2 100%.jpg

Shot 4 is just way out

Shot 4 100%.jpg

Shot 5 is out, seems like it's a bit in front but not sure
Shot 5 100%.jpg

Shot 6 is good
Shot 6 100%.jpg

Shot 7 you can see that focus didn't adjust between since shoulder is in focus
Shot 7 100%.jpg

Shot 8 is still behind
Shot 8 100%.jpg

Shot 9 is good
Shot 9 100%.jpg

Shot 10 is out but I cant tell for sure where focus moved to
Shot 10 100%.jpg

Settings walking burst.jpg

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
I use the same AF-C focus mode and Wide Area AF (S) AF-Area Mode as you with my Z6.

However in terms of shooting people (and apologies if you've previously mentioned this elsewhere and I haven't read it), I also make sure to assign:

1) the FN2 button to focus tracking; and
2) the AF-On button to back button focusing,

and engage 1) and 2) when shooting, which gives me a 100% hit rate with people, their faces, even their eyes when at events etc. I also take advantage of the option with the Z6 to assign focusing to face/eye (I think this can also be assigned speficially for animals) where appropriate. This is with a Z native lens, although I'm led to beleive that F mount FTX adapted lenses are in the same ball park in terms of responsiveness.

I appreciate that birds are a different ball game, but in certain circumstances it might just be worth a go too.

Good luck with all this.

emorgan451

Regular
Name
Eli
I use the same AF-C focus mode and Wide Area AF (S) AF-Area Mode as you with my Z6.

However in terms of shooting people (and apologies if you've previously mentioned this elsewhere and I haven't read it), I also make sure to assign:

1) the FN2 button to focus tracking; and
2) the AF-On button to back button focusing,

and engage 1) and 2) when shooting, which gives me a 100% hit rate with people, their faces, even their eyes when at events etc. I also take advantage of the option with the Z6 to assign focusing to face/eye (I think this can also be assigned speficially for animals) where appropriate. This is with a Z native lens, although I'm led to beleive that F mount FTX adapted lenses are in the same ball park in terms of responsiveness.

I appreciate that birds are a different ball game, but in certain circumstances it might just be worth a go too.

Good luck with all this.
Thanks for the response. That's the way I have mine setup as well and find it works great with my other lenses and for non sports photos. I find with this particular lens that the tracking box is less accurate and responsive than wide area small or dynamic.

ac12

Regular
Try doing this again but have your son wear a 2-color contrasty shirt, and put the AF on the shirt.
My thought is that the camera AF was having trouble finding something contrasty enough to lock focus on.
I had this when shooting sports, when the jersey is mono-color, the lens starts hunting.

Is there a FW update for the Tamron and Z6?

emorgan451

Regular
Name
Eli
I got my hands on an AF-S 80-200 and the focus is really fast and reliable! I was really impressed by this 20+ yr old lens. I've got a similar test sequence that I haven't had time to do the screen grabs of focus points but it hit the first 10 as expected, I drifted focus point and the next two were out (my fault), then the rest were in focus.

I haven't gotten to really evaluate it directly against the G2 for sharpness, flare resistance, or close focus. But I have the 13 more days to decide if I send it back to mpb or not. I know these were prone to have afs failures and no parts anymore. It's also not weather sealed. But so far I've learned that I will be going for some version of Nikon branded 70ish - 200 2.8

ac12

Regular
I got my hands on an AF-S 80-200 and the focus is really fast and reliable! I was really impressed by this 20+ yr old lens. I've got a similar test sequence that I haven't had time to do the screen grabs of focus points but it hit the first 10 as expected, I drifted focus point and the next two were out (my fault), then the rest were in focus.

I haven't gotten to really evaluate it directly against the G2 for sharpness, flare resistance, or close focus. But I have the 13 more days to decide if I send it back to mpb or not. I know these were prone to have afs failures and no parts anymore. It's also not weather sealed. But so far I've learned that I will be going for some version of Nikon branded 70ish - 200 2.8

Interesting.
That is something that I was afraid of, when we eventually have to transition to mirrorless.
I would contact Tamron and tell them what you are running into. Maybe they have to update their firmware for the Z cameras.

To me, accurate/reliable focusing is the most important thing, everything else is secondary.