GAS Tamron will NOT offer mount swap service !!! :(

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
I was looking for ideas and doing some research when I thought about asking Tamron if they offer mount-changing services the way Sigma does. Unfortunately, they do not, as they mentioned "technically" I believe, but it's pure speculation, that Tamron does not have a system/implementation at their factories to change either the physical mount, the electronics or firmware to change from one mount to another.
Screenshot 2022-11-01 153232.jpg

Alas, it is a bit disappointing because. now that, Tamron is bringing their lenses to Fujifilm X mount (and possibly other mounts) they could make it more cost-effective for people to change from one System to another while keeping the lenses they (could) very well know.
Tamron has realised the A057 on both mounts officially, so it wouldn't be an issue of asking for something they have not "done" yet. I would imagine the Tamron 70-180mm f 2.8 could be a great seller for Fujifilm X mount users given the size and range for its price as another alternative (the lens is very close in range and price and performance to Olympus 40-150mm f 2.8 but with fewer features.)

(PS. Could this post be sticky at the top so people can easily find this information as one might start wondering about switching mounts with 3rd party lenses?)

I was looking for ideas and doing some research when I thought about asking Tamron if they offer mount-changing services the way Sigma does. Unfortunately, they do not, as they mentioned "technically" I believe, but it's pure speculation, that Tamron does not have a system/implementation at their factories to change either the physical mount, the electronics or firmware to change from one mount to another.
View attachment 345319

Alas, it is a bit disappointing because. now that, Tamron is bringing their lenses to Fujifilm X mount (and possibly other mounts) they could make it more cost-effective for people to change from one System to another while keeping the lenses they (could) very well know.
Tamron has realised the A057 on both mounts officially, so it wouldn't be an issue of asking for something they have not "done" yet. I would imagine the Tamron 70-180mm f 2.8 could be a great seller for Fujifilm X mount users given the size and range for its price as another alternative (the lens is very close in range and price and performance to Olympus 40-150mm f 2.8 but with fewer features.)

(PS. Could this post be sticky at the top so people can easily find this information as one might start wondering about switching mounts with 3rd party lenses?)

I had a mount changed on a Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art.

Sigma in the UK said they could do most lenses as long as that lens is already made in the desired mount.

They had the L mount in stock at their premises and in their words, it was "not a difficult job". That doesn't mean it was 'cheap' (£240), but it was cheaper and quicker than selling the lens, trying to find one as good in the correct fit etc etc. Also the service included making sure that the converted lens met predetermined specification so I'm not expecting any issues in the medium term.

Came back in less than a week from confirming acceptance of their quotation.

Does Sigma swap mounts on AF lenses? I'm genuinely curious.

I wouldn't expect AF lenses could be mount swapped. As the electronics for different systems are totally different.

Does Sigma swap mounts on AF lenses? I'm genuinely curious.

I wouldn't expect AF lenses could be mount swapped. As the electronics for different systems are totally different.
It was a Sigma AF 50mm f1.4 Art lens. Nikon AF converted to L-mount. Completely different systems.

Should also mention that the £240 is a fixed fee on that lens and is about £85 parts, £105 labour and return shipping (which includes shipping both ways to Japan if they don't have the parts in stock) and £40 sales tax. Not cheap but not extortionate.

Last edited:
It was a Sigma AF 50mm f1.4 Art lens. Nikon AF converted to L-mount. Completely different systems.
Generally, it's a firmware change of their electronics that require an update (from the factory only) to change the AF algorithms and the camera "language". The electronics needed to run the lens would be the same, all they would need physically is to change the mount with the contact pins. At least with the "modern" lenses, that's why they have the conversion service only for their Global Vision lenses (they probably made this decision when they implemented this system at the engineering level to lower the cost of manufacturing and running so many mounts for a company this small, I think it's one of the most brilliant ideas Sigma had so far ... by far.)

Back