Tarangire Nat'l Park, Tanzania

At Lake Manyara, did you see an elderly lion with a Cardinals baseball cap? My wife lost hers there quite a few years ago as the wind took it. The driver did want to go for it, but as two young lions appeared and took sudden interest in the cap, he gave up on the idea.

Great pictures by the way!

One last stop, which was Zanzibar, where we stayed on the beach for 3 days. I left town again last week and was gone for 5 days, so I juuuuust finished editing this last chunk.

18677183810_f5cd5e643d_c.jpg
TOMK3484
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

These acrobats at the resort were astoundingly good.
18867626201_06a149064a_c.jpg
KBRX5189
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

A restaurant that looked nice on paper (and in person), but has relied on its stunning location to draw customers, allowing their service level to become appallingly bad, and its prices to creep up very high. We looked around, couldn't even get drinks ordered, and quietly left. Thanks for the pics.
18244244123_94da9f9180_c.jpg
TOMK3518
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Much better restaurant on the beach with a cute puppy who fell asleep in my arms.
18859697772_e0b254779b_c.jpg
KBRX5201
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

".....sigh."
18677123358_51a2d40a3d_c.jpg
TOMK3535
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Moonrise on the beach
18677161430_d704deba52_c.jpg
TOMK3561
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Riding back to the airport
18838598586_4e929698d5_c.jpg
KBRX5228
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Final thoughts on the trip:

1. Two Bodies... was a very, very good decision. Especially given that I'm shooting mirrorless, so it all still fit in a small bag. Sync up the clocks on both bodies VERY tightly (within seconds of each other), make the file names something different, and you can sort all images later by time taken. Minimal lens changes out in the dust, and you can split them up with your spouse, so you can shoot at the same time. And of course, if the XT had had a failure... perish the thought.

2. The XC 50-230... was VERY smart. Thank you again, whoever nudged me that way. It requires a little more care on exposure than what I imagine its faster siblings would. A stop too bright, and it milks out quickly. Too dim, and it loses detail very quickly. At dusk, you'll pretty much put it away. But that's a liveable set of parameters for the normal safari drives, which happen in broad, glaring daylight. And with the EVF in the XT1 showing me accurate exposure preview, I RARELY messed it up. Meanwhile, I got those shots you see up there for under $200. I'd guess that about 5% of the shots I got with that lens left me disappointed, and 25% left me somewhere between "surprised" and "stunned" when I reviewed the files on a big screen. You just don't expect results that good from their "cheap" lens. It's smaller, lighter, and stabilized. It's a no-brainer.

3. The XE-2... was pretty great. The dumbdumbdumb rule that locks shooting and reviewing to the same EVF/LCD decision should be fixed yesterday. Beyond dumb. Makes no sense. Also I noticed that when EVF + Sensor was my choice, often on startup there was a 1+ second lag before it would light up the EVF. Switching back to the XT1, it was lightning quick on launch, and that's not even in Quick Startup mode. FlickBANG, it's live and ready. The E was just a little slower, so going back and forth made it stand out. Great second body, though. Perfect files, just like the T, so editing was a snap... all presets worked the same on both files. The AFL and AEL buttons on the thumb mound drove me crazy for a week til I could train myself not to press them by accident.

4. Instax Printer... would've been awesome.

5. Five safari camps is too many. 3 would be perfect, for a week or maybe 8 days total. 5 camps for 10 days felt too long. By the end, you have seen SO many elephants and giraffes and hooved animals that you don't even lift the camera anymore unless it's a big cat, or something CLOSE. And all that truck time, bouncing around, unable to walk... it was tough.

At Lake Manyara, did you see an elderly lion with a Cardinals baseball cap? My wife lost hers there quite a few years ago as the wind took it. The driver did want to go for it, but as two young lions appeared and took sudden interest in the cap, he gave up on the idea.

Great pictures by the way!

chuckling... No I don't think we even saw ANY lions there. Certainly no animals in ball caps. Something probably ate it.

Ngorongoro and Serengeti got you some really fantastic shots, Kyle! Hard to pick favourites, but the man on a bike, lion climbing a tree, clouds on Ngorongoro rim, and zebra / wildebeast herd are the ones that caught my eye the most.

[edit]
hadn't seen that final set. All good pics, love the last 3. Sigh is really, really good, so recognizable! Although swimming in the rain is kinda awesome too, unless there's thunder...

Last edited:
I should say that my normal setup for shooting the long shots was...

- XT1, not the XE2, because it focused faster, has a larger EVF, and has more to grip onto.
- I normally shot "mostly-manual." ISO 200, and a shutter speed around 1/1000 that would get me an aperture near max. In the event that I needed more light, I'd drop to 1/500. Rarely if ever did I dictate an aperture on that XC lens, it was just so foreign to use a thumb dial.
- Focus was manual, using the AFL button press trick. I'd set up braced on something (several of the trucks even had bean bags for me), get the focus and metering right on, and then camp out waiting for the best composition or facial activity, with focus locked the whole time, only fine tuning focus manually if necessary because the subject moved.
- I think the camera's meter felt I was under-exposing by around 1/3 a stop most of the time in bright light, sometimes more. I just did what looked right to me in the EVF and ignored it.

And the one that got away... still kicking myself. We were driving back to the airport, and I had the 35 f1.4 on with a fast shutter speed. This couple was scootering ahead of us, and I snapped this.

18867604341_153673a0ae_c.jpg
KBRX5238
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Seconds later as I lowered the camera and turned it off, she turned around and smiled right at me. Her face was incredibly beautiful, the light was perfect, and the eye contact would've been stunning. And there I was with the damned camera on my lap. I missed it. I wanted to cry. I still do. It would've been so good.

No need to ask whether or not you enjoyed your vacation - its apparent in your images...:bravo-009:

I'm back. Africa was pretty incredible. I had allllllmost 3,000 images to sort through, and I've only edited a little over half. But here's a beginning... the first park we visited, Tarangire.

18424251349_797a6803fb_c.jpg
KBRX3035
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

He walked right past the truck. I could barely breathe.
17987751484_fba6525a67_c.jpg
TOMK2522
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

I spared you the one where he's picking his nose with his tongue.
17989750423_97d509a6b6_c.jpg
KBRX3194
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

17989743383_10abe75299_c.jpg
KBRX3264
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

18422709740_da76c017af_c.jpg
KBRX3303
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

17987698654_273c7d45ce_c.jpg
TOMK2634
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Kit zoom on the borrowed XE2
18422561088_3d68fe3459_c.jpg
TOMK2739
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

When the light stops being VERY bright, the cheap XC 50-230 zoom quickly gets "painterly" with the details. But sometimes painterly is nice.
18605797872_d520f016e6_c.jpg
KBRX3567
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

18583905546_ef75da80ea_c.jpg
KBRX3977
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

I'll start other threads for other places, I guess.

Back