Fuji Tell me about Zeiss

I cannot find the link, but I read that an M version would be very hard to make since the delta between the XF and M mount aren't that great.

Yep, that's why I asked if I have somehow missed the announcement (or rumor) of such a new design. It would be very welcome news for plenty of M users. There's nothing official on the Metabones website, their latest version appears to be for the Contarex mount.

I've shot with and owned quite a few Zeiss lenses (I currently own two 25mm f/2 and 100mm f/2) and the Zeiss lenses have always been built well and had exceedingly good optical properties. Beyond that the Zeiss lenses have a certain character to the look of the photo they produce some people call it micro contrast. I think its a combination of the micro contrast, colour transmission of the glass and the shape of the diaphragm (verrry circular) that give Zeiss a different character.
Haven't shot with the Touit lenses yet (but I will try them out at some point) but so far the optics seem to be about the same as the Fuji XF lenses as far as the sharpness goes but I do find the Bokeh nicer off the Touit lenses. The built quality from what has been described so far is slightly better than the Fuji XF lenses. Can't wait to try them. I hope Zeiss puts out a really nice 23mm f/2.0 compact lens at some point since its looking more and more like the Fuji 23mm f/1.4 is going to be pretty chunky.

OK, I won't be buying any Touits in the near future, by I've got an X-Pro and hunted up a couple of adapters for my Hasselblad to use with it. I know, big honking bricks to be used with the X-Pro, but I want to try. The CF Planar 80mm f2.8 would be a 120mm EFL on the Fuji, a very nice portrait length.

Truth be told, I've wanted to use my Hasselblad glass on a digital body, and the used medium format outfits are too rich for my budget, as well as being more camera than I need. So for $80 or $90, I'll get to take a digital image with those lenses I absolutely love. It won't be an everyday kit. It may not even be worth the bother. But come next pay day I'm going to get the adapter and try. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been looking at quite a lot of image samples recently, and the 32mm Touit seems to have a distinctly different bokeh to the 35 fuji. It seems "busier" and swirly. It works on some monochrome shots really well, gives a real gritty and dark look, but doesnt suit some others imo. Ive decided - especially factoring in cost - that the 27 or 35 are the better options for me.

Been looking at quite a lot of image samples recently, and the 32mm Touit seems to have a distinctly different bokeh to the 35 fuji. It seems "busier" and swirly. It works on some monochrome shots really well, gives a real gritty and dark look, but doesnt suit some others imo. Ive decided - especially factoring in cost - that the 27 or 35 are the better options for me.
The review I read of the 35 compared to the Touit 32 is that both are remarkably sharp in the center, about even there, and that while the Touit has a definite advantage in edge sharpness at wider f stops, the Fuji catches up by f4 and is ahead in sharpness across the frame at f5.6. Of course sharpness is only one of many variables. But if you were going to be shooting flat art in available light, the Touit would probably work better for you. Alternatively, if you have rather normal shooting habits, the Fuji seems to take the prize.

But I don't have the Zeiss, only the Fuji, and I' ve learned not to believe everything I read.

^ What it LOOKS like, is that Zeiss did what it normally would -- make really high quality lenses that fit onto a camera system, assuming the standard lenses would be of inferior quality. But when the tests came back with lens after XF lens doing as well or better than the pricier Zeiss options, I don't see how or why they should continue to make them.

Touit was mostly a NEX thing, hence 32mm, 12mm and 50mm Macro. Fuji already had great 35mm, 14mm and 60mm Macro primes, so nobody really needed the Touit lenses to complete the lineup.

So Fuji was never an important market for these lenses, and Sony decided to emphasize full-frame.

Zeiss may very well have overestimated the size of the Tout market, especially for Fuji. And Fuji may have overstated those numbers, too. Let's be happy that Touit died, because that's how we got the great XF16mmF1.4 R WR. Otherwise, we'd now have a Touit 1.8/16mm and an XF18mmF1.4 R.

My Hasselblad V series lenses to Fuji X adapter came today. I just shot a couple of things and brought them in to see them on the big monitor. As I expected, these lenses couple beautifully with the Xtrans sensor in the XPro. This was taken hand held with the 50mm f4 Distagon, a hefty bit of kit, but certainly not beyond hand holding -- as long as you hold the camera by the lens; it's a heavy sucker to have pulling on the mount.

I've always loved these lenses, and they certainly have lived up to my experience of them. Lovely, heavenly, to-die-for glass.

Hasselblad%20lens%20test%20DSCF0811-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And this one was the 80mm Planar f2.8
80mm%20f2.8%20Planar%20DSCF0824-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more with the Zeiss lenses for the Hasselblad. Did I mention I love these lenses?
80mm%20Planar%20DSCF0820-X2.jpg

DSCF0802-X2.jpg

80mm%20PlanarDSCF0822-X2.jpg

AND A 100% CROP:
100%25%20DSCF0799-X2.jpg

Saw that this old post had recently been given some new life & thought I might added my Zeiss experience to it as well. I have the Fuji X-E2 & X-Pro1 & a short while ago I decided to get a Zeiss Planar T 50mm f2 ZM lens to use with Fuji's X-M adapter on these cameras. I had looked very hard at the XF56 but finally decided it was much too big for my liking, trying to keep a more rangefinder like system with my prime & adapted lenses (also have a Leica Tele-Elmarit 90mm f2.8 instead of the new XF90 for the same reason , but that's another story). In looking at the various options in lieu of the XF56, I couldn't afford the Leica Summicron 50 f2, but saw reviews of it that very favorably compared the Zeiss Planar 50 to it. I also looked hard at the Zeiss Sonnar 50, which due to its unique rendering is kind of a love it or hate it lens. I decided on the Zeiss Planar 50 & could not be happier with it. It is bitingly sharp, great colors & magnificently constructed. And it is really quite small for all that it does, making it a perfect match for these Fuji cameras. Anyway, here are a few snaps taken with it. Cheers,

Jed

DSCF3234.jpg

DSCF3236.jpg

DSCF3239.jpg

DSCF3247.jpg

Thanks guys - in our small retirement home, I'm relegated to only the walls in my office for both my sailing/boating art & my photos. So I have two 14X20 frames that I use to rotate photos. Maybe I should give my Zeiss work some wall time. But I'm glad I happened on this thread as it has made be appreciate again what a truly fine little lens it is - probably one of the best that I own. These photos were taken with the X-E2 but I just got an X-Pro1 & while I've tried out the lens on it, I really haven't given it much of an opportunity yet. In fact, I was kind of thinking that I would maybe get the XF60mm for the XP1 when I can afford it & use the Zeiss on the XE2. But now I probably really should give the Zeiss a try on the XP1 since the OVF is optimized for the 18mm to 60mm focal range.

Back