Fuji Tell me about Zeiss

OdzBodkinz

Regular
So, I've never owned one, or shot with a Zeiss lens. When I had Sony cameras, everyone raved about the Zeiss A mount optics. I never bothered to pick one up for my Nikon system, because of price and lack of AF. With the Fuji I might be interested in learning more about them, so I have a few questions.

1) Do they feature AF or are they MF only?
2) Why would one want the 32mm 1.8 over the already stellar 35mm 1.4 Fujinon at a third of the price?

Thanks for looking and answering. I'm curious to learn more.

I believe the Zeiss 32/1.8 is AF, and the aperture dials on the lens are electronic and not mechanical?

People rave about Zeiss pop, and perhaps the optics of the Zeiss 32 will be that much better than the Fujinon 35?

I have used Zeiss lenses for years. They are world class. I originally used them on Contax bodies and lately upon my Leicas and most recently my X-E1. I love the Sonnar "signature" which is currently represented in my lineup by a Zeiss 50mm f1.5 and an FSU 85mm f2.0 Jupiter 9. I also appreciate the Planars and the Biogons, but there really is nothing like a Sonnar...

Sent from another Galaxy

Carl, (we're on a first name basis), jumped into the optical/photographic marketplace with the intent of bettering Leica and, arguably, did such. I used Carl's lenses on my medium format film cameras.

Gary

I have three Zeiss lenses for my Hasselbald and used to have three older ones (early 50's) for a very early Hasselblad. They are lovely pieces of glass.

I most love my Hasselbald for the Zeiss lenses I use on it. Wish I could afford a decent digital back for it!

See wikipedia for their history:
Carl Zeiss AG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The new Zeiss lenses, which is called "touit" now, can autofocus on fuji x/sony nex cameras:
We reveal the best-kept secret about the new family of lenses for mirrorless systems cameras | Camera Lens Blog

Specs:
Touit 2.8/12
Dimensions (with caps): 86 mm (3.39″)
Diameter of focusing ring: 65 mm (2.56″)
Weight E: 270 g (0.60 lbs)
Touit 2.8/12 data sheet

Touit 1.8/32
Dimensions (with caps): 76 mm (2.99″)
Diameter of focusing ring: 65 mm (2.56″)
Weight: 210 g (0.46 lbs)
Touit 1.8/32 data sheet

The Touit leaflet

According to Fujirumors, Australian photo shop, that is taking preorders, put AU$1500 (~$1550) preliminary pricing on the lenses. The official announcement will be in one week...

This is out of my league for a while, but if the X series are going to have Zeiss lenses available to it I may have to think about getting an X-Pro. I don't see me selling my E-M5, and that's the only way I could make the move now. In the meantime I'll dream -- and shoot a roll of film on the Hasselbald.

Used Zeiss for years with the Contax SLR system. One my all time favorites setups was the Contax RTSIII with a Zeiss 50mm f1.4! I even had the unique Contax AX body that autofocused manual focus lenses. That was a cool design. Another classic lens was the Zeiss 85mm f1.4.
I haven't tried their lenses for Nikon because my eyes rely on autofocus now. I think it is great that they are support Fuji X, but like others have begun to say, why are they making a 32mm f1.8 when the Fuji 35mm f1.4 is such as fine lens?

Because they are Zeiss, and they can do whatever they want. As much as I admire Leica glass, Zeiss covers so much more ground, whether cine, photo, astronomical (they even make those insanely complicated planetarium projectors), NASA glass, binoculars, rifle scopes, you get the picture. In many cases, beyond world class. When they put their mind to it and the budget permits, they make the best lenses in the world.

There will be guys who will buy the Zeiss instead of the Fuji because they can. I honestly don't expect a huge jump in IQ from the Zeiss to the Fuji, but I DO expect it will cost as much as an XPro kit !

From the rumor sites, offical prices for the new Zeiss Touit lenses:
Touit 32mm f/1.8 for 799 Euro/ $900
Touit 12mm f/2.8 for 1099 Euro/ $1250

I have a Zeiss 35/2 Distagon T* for my Canon and it produces images with a signature look that I am very fond of. If these new X-mount lenses provide the same output I will probably pick one or two of them up once they hit the streets.

Zeiss is not only a lens maker, it's also a brand name that's for hire. So one need to be careful with current products. However, if you find a Zeiss product that is or was designed with utmost quality in mind and manufactured by the actual Zeiss factory, it's usually a world-class product. Look no further, because chances are that you've found the holy grail. Use it, enjoy it, be happy. Such lenses will deliver flawless results for decades with little or no maintenance. They are built to last. Just like the pre-owned 180mm Sonnar I have recently bought on eBay. I don't know how old it is (certainly at least 2 decades), but when I got it, it looked almost brand-new. The results are beyond discussion, they simply soar, even combined with a Metabones Speed Booster. Here are a few samples from today...

8712068850_a7cd25db35_c.jpg

S0017211 by ricopress, on Flickr

8710945255_18d8da4d69_c.jpg

S0027215 by ricopress, on Flickr

View attachment 12945
S0067228 by ricopress, on Flickr

Wow, Ricoh!

To use the Metabones, it must be a bit "adapter-heavy?" (Legacy lens -> Fuji-mount adapter - Metabones Speed Booster)

Or - if it's Leica M mount, looks like there's an adapter/booster-in-one ... hmmm!

The "Touit" name reminds me of a colleague in manufacturing:

Me: "When will you guys be ready with <...> ?"
Colleague: "Depends. Got any round 'touits?'"
Me: "Eh?"
Colleague: "It'll be ready when I get a round 'touit.'"

(think 'around to it' for the above. ;) )

The Metabones is the adapter, so I don't see much of a difference between using a Speed Booster or a simple mount adapter. Obviously, they both need to have the exact same size to adjust for flange back. Of course, the Speed Booster is 10x as expensive as a simple mount adapter and contains optical elements. Quality is very good, though, the combo is sharper and with more character than many "native lenses".

I am not aware of a Speed Booster for M mount, that would require a completely new design, is there a smaller Speed Booster II in the works? People would love that for sure.

I am not aware of a Speed Booster for M mount, that would require a completely new design, is there a smaller Speed Booster II in the works? People would love that for sure.

I cannot find the link, but I read that an M version would be very hard to make since the delta between the XF and M mount aren't that great.

According to Wikipedia, the distance is only 10.1 mm...

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back