Pentax Tell us all about your Pentax Q - and please add your photographs!

Dead thread revival. Was just looking through some old archives, and came across some images from my Q, the black Mg original. I think I used one of the zoom lenses to get this one.

Stinkpot.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had one a few years ago. I think it was the battery life that led to my disenchantment with it. Still tempted to get a Q7 but they’re only available from Japan, it seems, and Brexit is overwhelming the customs service as it is...anyway, here’s a selection.
522FDA74-0F53-4E58-BCE0-5E1A995458A3.jpeg
D27F39BB-BF96-44B6-B123-9B2AAD8DF3FB.jpeg
EB6DD1FF-12F5-48D1-899E-BF3CEE5710DC.jpeg

After seeing all of the relatively cool - and often incredible - images and photographs which various members have been taking with their Q's - and after having admired John Flores's Q photography for literally years and years - and after having a close friend who is also a neighbor who sang me the praises of his Q for years ...... I couldn't resist - and have finally taken the metaphoric plunge, and am buying a Q7 from another Pentaxian who, coincidentally, wanted to downsize his quiver at the same time.

I should be getting mine within a week, more or less.

More to follow, hopefully... :dance4:

I had the original Q, which I let go because of its small sensor. I've always regretted it because its magnesium body was the nicest Q body of all. Still, I picked up a Q-S1 with the larger 1/1.7" sensor a few years later. That's the second-nicest Q body. I still have that and all of the Q lenses - zooms and primes - except for the "toy" lenses. The kit is virtually unused. Still wondering what to do with it.

Adding this for posterity...

Back in 2017, I rode a motorcycle from NJ to Tennessee for a motorcycle rally and then out to Idaho for a story on The Great American Eclipse. My goal was to capture a photo of the total eclipse for the story but I could not take a lot of gear because of the bike. In addition to the Lumix kit I generally traveled with (two GX85s + lenses), I added a Pentax Q with a kit lens plus the DA 55-300 on a K to Q adapter.

Of the 13 photos used to illustrate the published story, 5 were taken with the Q7.

Lumix
1614193789104.png

Selfie in lower left taken with Q7

1614193828494.png

River/fishing photo taken with Q7
1614193887996.png

Total eclipse photo taken with Q7
1614193913834.png

Riding photo in lower left and bike on ferry photo lower right taken with Q7
1614193940751.png

I don't travel with the Q system as much as I used to, but it delivered the goods when I needed it to.

Adding this for posterity...

Back in 2017, I rode a motorcycle from NJ to Tennessee for a motorcycle rally and then out to Idaho for a story on The Great American Eclipse. My goal was to capture a photo of the total eclipse for the story but I could not take a lot of gear because of the bike. In addition to the Lumix kit I generally traveled with (two GX85s + lenses), I added a Pentax Q with a kit lens plus the DA 55-300 on a K to Q adapter.

Of the 13 photos used to illustrate the published story, 5 were taken with the Q7.

Lumix
View attachment 249968

Selfie in lower left taken with Q7

View attachment 249971

River/fishing photo taken with Q7
View attachment 249972

Total eclipse photo taken with Q7
View attachment 249973

Riding photo in lower left and bike on ferry photo lower right taken with Q7
View attachment 249974

I don't travel with the Q system as much as I used to, but it delivered the goods when I needed it to.

Hey, John! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this. Your Q7 photos are crazy good, and your text is even better. What a great trip! and you made me (and I'm sure many others) feel like we were along for the ride with you.

The casual pic - when my partner became an emergency and I had to rush her to this place.
Due to Corona people had to wait outside an ophthalmologist´s rooms on the pavement.
They had to keep their distance and wait to be called inside by a security guard.
Without Q7 I would have missed the image

IMGP5552.jpg

Went shopping at the local market which has a lovely organic fruit & vegetable department, which is normally overseen by a stuffed toy monkey; but in the interests of maintaining safe health protocols during the pandemic, even the simian must wear an appropriate face covering--

Q7_Mar7_21_produce_Monkey#1.jpg

The primate is also the custodian of a box of thin latex gloves, for customers to use when handling individual fruits or veggies---

Q7_Mar7_21_produce_Monkey#2.jpg

He seems to be keeping an eye on everyone and everything around him---

Q7_Mar7_21_produce_Monkey#3.jpg

All the preceding were taken with the 01 prime lens mounted on my Q7; and all taken with the lens opened to maximum aperture, f/1.7, which as you can see, gives respectable results.

Over on Pentaxforums, there's a long 82 page thread called "The Reach of the Q". It's last posting was in November of 2017 by our very own John M Flores. I participated in the thread for a short while in 2014. My own attempts with long lenses and the Q were less than exemplary; some guys got really good images with the Q and long lenses, but my best adapted image efforts with the Q came from a Pentax 50mm f1.4 (another pin-sharp lens I let go in one of my gear purges). Here's a pic of the Q mounted onto a Rokkor 30cm lens with a loupe attached to the Q. Even with the loupe, I was never able to achieve satisfactory focus with this setup; it was just too jumpy, even with the tripod. But it still looked cool.

IMGP2067.jpg

Last edited:
I find that my Q7 can create images with an almost transcendental 'vibe' to them---

Q7_Mar6_21_Shiva_lunchbox(BoldMono).jpg

In fact, the Q7 lends itself to the creation of a whole variety of different monochrome/black&white 'looks'---

Q7_Mar8_21_leaf_on_hedge.jpg

The macro capacities of its small sensor let one get in quite close to one's subject, provided that one can convince one's subject not to move around too much---

Q7_Mar13_21_fish.jpg

The inexpensive little fish-eye lens is worth picking up for its distorted but cool angles---

Q7_Mar14_21_Watering_Can(BoldMono).jpg

If I remember correctly, the FOV of the 8.5mm 01 Prime lens is equivalent to 47.5mm - which makes it the Q's nifty-fifty - and it's one of those lenses that, the more you use it, the more you want to use it. In spite of the much greater depth-of-field of its small sensor, the lens still produces halfway decent semi-bokeh effects---

Q7_Sept9_21_Einstein_puppet.jpg

I honestly don't mind the lack of a viewfinder; and the camera's almost ridiculously tiny size (I think it made my old Ricoh GRDiii look almost giant) makes people one is photographing relax and smile and stare in disbelief: 'Is that really a camera? But it's sooo small.'
I was fortunate enough to be given a second Q - this one the original Q - and in spite of its even smaller sensor, it can create great photos too.
Damn. Guess I'm going to have to start Q'ing up again ;)

Just picked up my Q + 01 kit locally partially because of the price, but more to do with the amazing sample images posted by its users on this forum.

It's such a small, well built machine for picture making. I am astounded at how much fun this thing is.
That's how I feel about my tiny Olympus E-PM2. 250 grams, with a 16 MPx Sony mFTs sensor. Does an amazing job for such a tiny thing.

Just picked up my Q + 01 kit locally partially because of the price, but more to do with the amazing sample images posted by its users on this forum.

It's such a small, well built machine for picture making. I am astounded at how much fun this thing is.
Congratulations on your new camera. I looked the Q series up. They certainly look like a beautiful, tiny camera.

Arrgghhh. I just realised that I'm responding to a zombie thread.
Ah well. The things I said apply to the recent posts and posters too.

Back