Test Godox ML-CD15 Diffuser for Close Up Use

In my quest for taking photos of small critters I am always trying to find better diffusion that creates less hot spots and shiny lines on legs, spiders heads etc.

My latest diffuser to try is the Godox silicone ML-CD15 that comes with a few adaptors to suit godox 685, yongnuo 560 etc plus some others.
I used it with the godox TT350o and had to pack it out with foam so the clamp would hold it on as per below.
I used the diffuser partly squashed in so it would not stick out in front of the lens

Below is a side on view on the EM10.2 with 60mm macro. The bit on the front of the lens is part of another diffuser that attached to the bayonet hood mount.

IMG_5203.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Below is from the rear sort of showing how it is mounted and packed out so the screw clamp would hold it on the flash
IMG_5204.JPG

This diffuser di dnot eliminate all the shiny lines and flares on legs etc but did reduce them to dots in a lot of situations.
I use manual mode with this type of work and constantly change the output as I change distance and subject types with different reflective surfaces, like moths and hoppers etc.

What surprised me was with this diffuser I tried different subject types and different distances in different folage all with the same setting and all sort of worked with to some degree or another.

The below shots selected to show the hot spots and flares created for the "same" flash settings on the different subject types and folage conditions. I was lucky last night to find a few semi willing subjects.

Now if I could work out how to covers the top and reflect some of the stray light back down the little TT350o may do a little better.

the only problem I encountered was since the diffuser is silione it is a dust magnet, even in the house.

All SOOC, no post processing at all [rough and not quiet ready]

Had to chase this one around the plant, just would not stay still, but a good shiny subject in reflective folage

PC287864.JPG

Side On.JPG

Front On.JPG

normal.JPG

Close Up.JPG

Net Caster.JPG

Mantis.JPG

Tiny Spider.JPG

Full moth.JPG

Moth Close Up.JPG

St Johns Cross top.JPG

St Johns Cross Underside.JPG

Since all these sort of worked to the standards I set for myself, fairly low I admit I think the diffuser is a keeper for the time being.

What surprised me the most was not much in the way of harsh shadows in fairly think folage in some of the shots, lighting seems fairly even.

Normally I would change the flash setting to get the results on the subject types and distances above to using this diffuser is fairly forgiving to an extent.

Once again all SOOC no processing at all

For the price worth a look I think. I also purchased the tent one as well but have not tried it yet

In my quest for taking photos of small critters I am always trying to find better diffusion that creates less hot spots and shiny lines on legs, spiders heads etc.

...This diffuser di dnot eliminate all the shiny lines and flares on legs etc but did reduce them to dots in a lot of situations
You may be chasing what cannot be attained with your current methodology....your 'large source' is fundamentally aligned to the axis of the lens,

Imagine that same approach to photograph a glass test tube or blood specimen tube. In the case of the tube, you have one long surface that reflects the AREA of the SOURCE itself. If you used an off-camera source, the reflection of the source is seen along a different portion of the glass tube...move the source to the side and the reflection moves until finally there is no reflection visible any more. My point...think about your subject in larger scale like a big bottle or like a glass sculpture in its characteristic, and how you would light that, to make reflections more visible or less visible in certain parts of the subject.

Splendid topic!

Now if I could work out how to covers the top and reflect some of the stray light back down the little TT350o may do a little better.
You could try to tape a DIY semi circle of aluminum foil over the top half, for the experiment. Not a sturdy solution but for the experiment it could be worth it. It would probably work as some sort of giant Pringles diffuser.

Back