...that place between sheep and socks

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Wow, thanks all as I thought this thread was dead.….even thanks to those who exercised the bad puns - looking at you Steve - "thanks for shearing" - :laugh1:

Nice looking black and whites, Mark. Can you tell us more about how they tested and what surprised you? Me, I know virtually nothing...except I've seen some old movies showing brawny, shirtless young men shearing (in "A Town Called Alice", if memory serves) sheep.;)
This place is far from the shearers - though I'm a little concerned about your objectification of men BB :tomato2:…but I know we Aussies are a more rugged breed susceptible to such gawking in our wifebeaters, Blundstones and Akubra hats. Though I know a few shearers and many are outfitted this way but not many look screen-ready. I was surprised about what goes into the process. There is so much that just ends up on the shelf that I'm not even aware of all the work that goes into the making - makes me now think a little more deeply about what goes into anything I buy - food clothes, toiletries, etc., I mean this factory main function was to verify wool grades - from teddy bear stuffing, wool socks to super-fine wool. A function I'd never thought of and yet it the factory was enormous and kept a good few people in employment….and this is but a small step in a long process.

Leica lllf and a Summicron 50 - eh!!!

good to see an old "Made in England" set of Avery scales still being used - no digital in there
The closet thing to modern day in the factory was the pneumatics. I think imaging this place with a digicam would have been anachronistic. Oh and I know the IIIf and collapsible Summicron have been superseded by the Leica M and Cron Rigid back in the fifties, but there is something so raw and essential about a Barnack with collapsible lens. Also in the hand the Barnack has a form factor that seems to preempt today's serious compacts while the M feels so much bigger…

ah, the old Kodak TMAX400, I used to love using that film. Nice shots and great to see film still has its place.
Oh boy does it! Martin you should come pay a visit to SC's Film folder. Not many of us - just the regulars and some drop-ins - which is great!!! - it sort of reminds me of an old Pub in there (before they were all renovated and gentrified).

Thank you my friend, and you are so right about my objectification of you Aussie menfolk!:th_salute:

Meanwhile, I really do appreciate your return to film as well as these photos and a view inside a world I'll probably never have a chance to look into, Mark. Keep on keeping on with this film stuff and sharing your adventures here and not just in your film pub!

Thank you my friend, and you are so right about my objectification of you Aussie menfolk!:th_salute:

Meanwhile, I really do appreciate your return to film as well as these photos and a view inside a world I'll probably never have a chance to look into, Mark. Keep on keeping on with this film stuff and sharing your adventures here and not just in your film pub!
Thanks BB, I do try and spread the love. The film pub have good reliable regulars sitting at the bar, and often folks at other tables don't much like the aesthetic of silver halide; preferring the cleaner digital B+W files. But I'm bolstered by your good wishes so I'll try and circulate a little more often. ;)

Back