The 2012 Summer Olympics!

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
I have to believe that there is going to be someone here who will end up seeing part of these Olympic games - and perhaps photographing some aspect?

We watched the opening ceremonies last night, but I'm ashamed to say that I went to bed before it was over.... Here are some photos from the NY Times slide show: 2012 Olympic Summer Games Opening Ceremony - Slide Show - NYTimes.com I'm sure that there are many more excellent photographs that were taken and the much more exciting sports images to come.

If any of you make it to the games, please consider sharing your photos and make sure to post a link in here!

Let the games begin (or have they already?;))!

P.S. I just discovered this section that apparently will be updated throughout the games: Photos - London 2012 Olympics - The New York Times

I worked on stuff on my laptop while the tedious parade of nations rolled on. 99% of the athletes that were filming the experience were using phones or very UNserious compacts. I think I saw one MILC and 2 DSLRs. As much as I enjoy phootgraphy, if I ever made it to the Olympics, I wouldn't be filming that stuff. I'd just drink it in and enjoy it. It's kinda like filming a wedding ceremony isn't it? WHo watches that video?

I thought it was a wonderful ceremony, so much more personal, open, funny and charming than the overwhelming spectacle in Beijing 4 years ago... I wonder how the Chinese viewed it...
the James Bond and Rowan Atkinson pieces were absolutely brilliant :D
but yeah the athletes' parade is always a bit boring... regarding cameras: I did see several DSLR's (the Chinese athletes had some serious equipment!!) and some cameras that looked like Canon G-series, and more than a few rugged cams.

I would have posted shots from the day the torch came through my locality ... except I decided it was a much better idea to spend the day at the hospital ... hrrrumph ...

I detest the commercilisation, resent the Zil lanes, weep at the use to which our long-suffering armed forces are being put, but that was a magnificent show, from Brenda as a Bond girl to Bean, to the amazing industrial revolution sequence and even Beckham down the Thames it was a triumph of showmanship by Mr Boyle - hats off to him. Loved the cauldron too. The one sour note for me was the ubiquitous McCartney belting out that bloody song again.

I think it is time that Paul McCartney gave up live performances. His voice last night was weak and shaky like the old man he is, I won't even comment on the dyed hair. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, I was taking my O levels when they released their first 45, but enough is enough. The rest of the ceremony was well done but I would have omitted the hymns

I also liked the ceremony. The industrial revolution was amazing :)

Yes Sir Paul, it's time to hang up the live hat I think.

Rowan Atkinson stole the show for me. He is a master of his trade. Absolutely awesome!

It always makes me smile when you see the people in the crowd with little cameras with the flash shooting off when it's no good after a couple of meters anyway.

The flame is the best idea I have ever seen at any Olympics.

Just on a side note regarding the Olympics.

The company I work for designs, builds, and sells full bandwidth audio and video production routers. For the games in China 4 years ago, I designed software for an 864 channel, input/output, full 3gbs video router. This was originally leased to NBC for the games, but NBC liked it so much they purchased the router. They used it at Vancouver as well, and are using it in London. Our service rep who was in London for a month and spent time at the IBC, told us that not only does NBC have our equipment, but so do many other countries who are at the IBC, such as South Korea. He estimated that we have probably have as much as 10 million dollars of equipment being used at the Olympics right now.

So for those here in the U.S. watching on T.V., the video feeds from all the cameras used by NBC is going through equipment designed, built, and sold right here in the United States. Our company has had equipment at the Olympics since the games in '88.

Jason

Maybe I'm in the minority - but I don't remember that I've channel-surfed this much in previous Olympic opening ceremonies. That one in Beijing is hard to top. Watching last night's opening ceremonies (again, personally) was like watching an American Idol perform after Aretha Franklin's number. Probably it's just a cultural thing. Loved that Bond and Mr. Bean bit though. Even better was the much-faster parade of countries. :)

I hate that here in the US they are showing a lot in delay - the opening ceremonies, and now the Men's 400m swimming finals. I think they're showing it during primetime, but really. In the internet age??

*end of rant*

I agree the cauldron of fire is the best olympic flame I've seen!
Hyubie, I think the Brits knew they would never be able to truly outshine China's opening ceremony in terms of overwhelmingness and flashiness and polishedness, so they went for a more personal, charming thing - I felt that in a way, it displayed the many freedoms we have in this part of the world, along with a sort of implied statement that bigger/faster/more streamlined is not always better, that it's the laughs, the music, the sense of community, the happiness of our children that can also make the greatness of a country. At least that's how I interpreted it, but I fear if I elaborate any further we might be getting into political discussion, so let me just repeat that I enjoyed the charming personal nature of the show.

I think it's crazy to expect every country holding the Olympics to out do the one before for dazzle and shine. I loved the more personal show London put on. It is supposed to be about the competition of sport after all. Not who puts on the best opening.

Back