The 22nd Photographers' Lounge Salon Challenge: Epic!

elephant2-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sorry it's last minute, had to recover from SIJ challenge.

Thanks for the reminder, Jock. I was really going back and forth between a couple of photos. Probably my most epic moment was when I encountered dolphins during an (analog) underwater photography course back in 2003. I only have a scan so I thought to skip that one.

This is my second favorite from a trip to Costa Rica. The colors and texture in the sky were just unbelievable. Although slightly dramatized, this is the picture that I still have in my memory. I do have another where the colors changed to magenta/purple.

p1682459795-6.jpg

22nd photo challenge results

Pictogramax – A spectacular, evocative image. The almost monochromatic palette adds to the mystery of the scene. The swirling mists suggest a mythical quality to the shot.

Luke – Whoa, indeed. This shot almost defines epic. I don’t think anyone could look at this shot and not say: “Really? Seriously? That big? Yikes!” I love the fact that you included the minivan at the left; it nails down the scale of the blade.

Kyteflyer – This shot has it all: immense sky, huge horizon, subtleties of color, and those ships waaaay out there to show us how big this shot really is.

Donlaw – This image could be two people almost anywhere. . . but the caption material – your autistic son celebrating his 25th birthday – belies the ordinary quality of the scene. The challenge must be epic for your family, but the love and pride you feel for him must be epic as well.

Davect01 – To be honest, I am puzzled by this photo. Abe Lincoln in what appears to be a tropical scene? A bronze Abe Lincoln? It is a photo that evokes curiosity but at the same time is strangely peaceful.

Lightmancer – This looks like a promotional shot for a Cecil B. Demille epic. I enjoy that this shot plays with my head. . . the pharaoh looks immense, but with only the foreground figures for scale, it’s hard to know how big it really is. Cue the extras!

Drd1135 – Birds in the foreground, an elephant in the middle, and his trunk kind-of points to the tiny people on the balcony. There is a lot to look at in this shot, and I like it.

Pniev – This is a very interesting shot. Monochromatic, almost, but not black and white. You could tell me this is a lone tree at the edge of an erupting volcano, and I would believe you. Zen-like in its simplicity, it’s spare to the point of being almost abstract art.

Petach – You can’t fool me – that’s not a powerplant, it’s the apocalypse. Is that smoke? Steam? Clouds? Or all three? Whatever it is, it’s epic.

Lattiboy – Astonishing variety of shapes, sizes, colors, hues. A feast for the eyes.

Bartjeej – Just looking at this shot, I’m parched. It makes me want to buy a case of bottled water and keep it handy. Next water fountain: 5,000 km.

Each of these shots was compelling, but very different from each other. There wasn’t any objective way to make a judgment, so I went with subjective.

I found there were three shots I kept returning to: Luke, kyteflyer, and Lattiboy. Luke for the simply astonishing subject matter; kiteflyer for the richness of the content of the scene, and Lattiboy for the vast subtle palette of color.

In the end, if someone pointed a gun at my head and said, “Pick one to hang on your wall,” I would have to say:

The winner is . . . kiteflyer. Well done!

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Cheers, Jock

OHMY! Thanks Jock! I'd nearly forgotten about this (and of course now have to think about the next challenge)

I am really impressed by the quality of the photographs in this challenge: I think the topic brought out some wonderful shots we might not have otherwise seen. Well done, everyone!

Yep, well done Sue. Super smooth shot which so easily could be overdone in post processing. Just about perfect and a wall hanger for sure....LARGE!

There was some cracking good photography shown here in the "22nd" and a joy to look through. There are really some gifted people on here and it is a pleasure to be associated with you.

....and well done Jock for providing such a thought provoking theme

Back