The 23rd Photographers' Lounge Salon: Your best ever.

Best ever, maybe not but always high on my list.
Arboretum 1 B&W.jpg

Last edited:
As I have over 45 years of photographs to choose from since getting into this business, that ultimate "best" is a bit difficult, but from the perspective of sheer difficulty in all aspects (concept, organisation, use of fledgling techniques, work involved in final production, as well as success in the result) it probably is this one:
fpHDohY.jpg

Titled "Elia", taken on August 8 2006 in the Upper Florentine Forests, Tasmania using a D2X and 17-35/2.8 lens, 2 second exposures @ 400 ISO, it is a 7 frame pano involving focus stacking of two layers, for which over 60 shots were taken (remember what digital ISO above 400 and the science of photo stacking was like was like in 2006? :) ). Final print made on Canson Canvas, image size 58"x21.5".

Though hard to see here but there are six people secreted in the background as well, with the purposeful aim of at least getting into the finals of the inaugural National Photographic Portrait Prize of the Australian National Portrait Gallery. It achieved that goal (narrowly beaten by the eventual winner, but still one of two images displayed alongside the ultimate winning entry on the gallery website), and went on to take the jurors prize at the Photography 27 Exhibition at the Perkins Center for the Arts, Moorestown, NJ, eventually to be acquired by the Photographic Collection, Philadelphia Museum for the Arts.
Subject was of protesters involved in an anti-logging blockade in the old growth forest in South West Tasmania, and while that blockade failed to a degree, logging was halted after the initial phase, and further campaigning finally concluded in 2012 after the blockade was repeatedly broken up by the police and logging interests and always immediately re-established and continuously maintained despite arrests, jailings and mass community protests. The whole area was successfully listed by UNESCO as World Heritage Area as a final result. Whilst this photo was just a very small part of the overall drama, it punched way above its weight for the sheer positive publicity it gained, both locally and internationally. It is also on of my favourite pictures, so let's call it my best in light of all that.

Well, my girlfriend says that out of my favourite photos, this one has the most interesting composition. Italso has interesting subject matter and the light matches the subject, even if it's not particularly attractive. Also, posting this one means i have to upload it to flickr, which was long overdue. So here goes my shot of fishermen bringing in the day's catch, and the pirogues (big wooden boats). It's quite dangerous work, because sometimes the waves suddenly thow the boat ameter or so aside, and you don't want to get trapped underneath a boat like that with the surf washing over you. For all the hard work, the returns are becoming less and less, as huge factory ships from Europe, China and other countries deplete the fish stocks. The number of local fishing boats - several hundred on this beach alone - also adds to the pressure on fish populations.

24401629733_c82cfa021a_h.jpg
hard work
by bartjeej, on Flickr

I'm not sure this is my best ever but it is my favorite. I was in Wyoming near Cody in a place calls Devil's Canyon looking for wild horses. I was traveling by motorcycle. There was not a person anywhere. It was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. And btw, I did see wild horses on the way out of the canyon.
p419392334.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not sure this is my best ever but it is my favorite. I was in Wyoming near Cody in a place calls Devil's Canyon looking for wild horses. I was traveling by motorcycle. There was not a person anywhere. It was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. And btw, I did see wild horses on the way out of the canyon.

Didn't you also wish there was a way to capture the beauty, majesty, and endlessness of that landscape? Every time when I see a landscape like this, I try to enjoy and embrace the moment because I know a photograph won't be able to capture what I feel. Perhaps the only way is to bring a medium format and print 9 by 4 meters.

Didn't you also wish there was a way to capture the beauty, majesty, and endlessness of that landscape? Every time when I see a landscape like this, I try to enjoy and embrace the moment because I know a photograph won't be able to capture what I feel. Perhaps the only way is to bring a medium format and print 9 by 4 meters.
I've been told it's true of Borneo that once you are in the middle of that place, it's just impossible to capture the scope and depth of it's surroundings and beauty through a mere camera.

I've been told it's true of Borneo that once you are in the middle of that place, it's just impossible to capture the scope and depth of it's surroundings and beauty through a mere camera.
Ever try shooting the Grand Canyon? Same thing - I've seen amazing, wonderful, phenomenal photos of the Grand Canyon that don't even scratch the surface of the way it just knocks the wind out of your body when you first walk up to the rim... I don't think I'd even bother unless I was hiking to the bottom and back again - some of the views from the trail part way down come the closest to nailing the grandeur of the place...

-Ray

For an indecisive person this is doubly difficult! I looked at my flickr stats but didn't agree with the number one pics for faves/views so I went back to Lightroom and looked at my catalogue. I've been really pleased on the two occasions that I've used the little RX1 to photograph Semana Santa and I chose this one from 2014 because I like the play of light on the faces...... of course I may change my mind :drama:

DSC08098-Edit-2-Edit-2.jpg

I don't make great photos. Or at least not photos of great importance or heavy meaning. So please don't laugh when I submit a "lowly" cat photo. I've always liked the color and texture in this photo of our late, great cat Kiki taking an afternoon nap.
That's awesome Luke. The way the curves of the curled up cat work with the various curvy colored lines of the couch cushions and the splash of red fabric in the upper left - that's no mere cat photo. That's a wonderful image that works around the cat that happens to be in it and contributes to it... The kind of thing I wish I'd seen, if I could handle being around cats long enough to ever see such a thing. They've been trying to kill me since I was a young kid so, while I don't hate them, I'm really good at staying away from them...

-Ray

Back