The Amazing Emporium of Wondrous Tunes (aka: What are you listening to?)

Luke

Super Moderator
Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
Dale's latest post about the Leica Q had me flashing back to high school when I played this one LOUD and OFTEN....... I Like Cows! The Suburbs from the twin cities, but even in Milwaukee they were pretty under the radar. It's a shame they're not more well known.

D

dalethorn

I played it with my wife looking on - we both loved it.

Edit: Bought this and a 2013 track from iTunes. This band has a lot of history.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dalethorn

with Halloween slowly approaching, I thought I'd share a creepy little favorite of mine. If you like 'em dark......give this one a click......
I really like what Talking Heads did with Psycho Killer, "I hate people when they're not polite", "Say something once, why say it again", "Don't touch me I'm a real live wire", ....

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
New Mexico
Larry
combining my love of vintage photographs and super old field recordings, it's like they made this set specifically for me. I'm listening to it while shipping LPs this morning. It's probably a bit too "hairy" for most, but I'm really enjoying it.
What a blast!

Petach

Hall of Famer
Oct 22, 2011
UK, Essex
Peter Tachauer
THIS is one of my all time faves. Louis Prima singing Angelina. I mean....for JC's sake, lyrics like:

"I'll join in matrimony with a girl who serves Spamoni"

If ever I feel down, I play it. Cheers me up no end and gets my feet a tap tap tappin' like a dement donkey

Petach

Hall of Famer
Oct 22, 2011
UK, Essex
Peter Tachauer
For reasons I cannot clearly explain, I cry when I hear this. It is not the lyrics, it is the melody......the music that makes me choke. Especially the rising crescendo of the strings and the sax' towards the end. Only Spiegel im Spiegel has a similar effect on me, but one of melancholy. Whereas this is on a different emotional plane.

I was a great fan of SKY back in the distant past, John Williams, Herbie Flowers & Kevin Peak. I saw them live at the Albert Hall here in London.

I had no idea until recently that Herbie was responsible for; perhaps, one of the most haunting bass lines ever and was paid £24 for it as a session musician.

This is a massive favourite of mine and when I hear it.........I taste bourbon and cigars

Take it away Lou..........."Walk on the wild side"

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: ReD
D

dalethorn

never knew that story, Pete. Pretty cool. Makes me appreciate that tune a bit more.

A friend of my wife's we hung out with in 1972, he was black (African-American), and he objected to the line "and the colored girls go ...." -- the song was very important then for many reasons - Lou Reed's Transformer and David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust kicked off Glamrock in a huge way in the U.S., providing some relief from the excesses of the late 1960's. Walk On The Wild Side ran into censor problems for "...but she never lost her head, even when she was giving....", but us kids knew in an instant, and lack of Internet was no deterrent.

But move forward a few years to Money For Nothing, and we still have these censor issues - for example in the mid-1980s MTV played the video uncensored, radio stations spun it as well, but forward into the 2000's it's no longer acceptable in general society for the gay slurs.

Race, gender, and age sensitivities were all the rage in 1972, and one of my wife's friends used to intone so seriously back then "We're not girls, we're women" -- but fast-forward to the 90's and 2000's and here in the U.S. they're now called "guys". -Unintended consequences.

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Sep 9, 2011
Cumbria UK
Garry
the morning sun is warming the house (quite welcome with the furnace quitting on us) and Brian Eno's "Thursday Afternoon" is perfect for desk work and napping dogs......
This tempted me in to dragging out my copy of My life in the bush of ghosts.
Trouble is, with my progressive hearing loss large amounts of it go unheard:-(
I bought my last album some time ago. I sometimes feel sad about it but at least my favourites are still in my head.

Luke

Super Moderator
Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
This tempted me in to dragging out my copy of My life in the bush of ghosts.
Trouble is, with my progressive hearing loss large amounts of it go unheard:-(
I bought my last album some time ago. I sometimes feel sad about it but at least my favourites are still in my head.
Play it anyways. EVen if you're missing parts, it's still good for exorcising demons :2thumbs:

KillRamsey

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2012
Hood River, OR
Kyle
Willie's still holding on, but from what I've seen, his live performance isn't what it used to be. Huge pauses, singing (purposefully, but still) miles behind the beat, and sparse arrangements. Everyone's gotta slow down sometime I guess.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom