Music The Amazing Emporium of Wondrous Tunes (aka: What are you listening to?)

The topic about (the passing away of) Kevin Ayers made me want to post about this song, but that didn't seem like the appropriate place so I figured I'd revive this topic and post it here:

in the most recent episode of the TV series "Girls", Judy Collins performs with her Song for Judith. At first it didn't ring a bell, but then when I heard the chorus, I suddenly realised my mom used to play it a lot when I was really small. I've had it on continuous replay for about an hour now :tongue: and I should really pay my parents a visit again sometime soon!

Rajiv, there is a new compilation of music by this classic Indian vocalist that has been selling well for me lately. Are Indian records from the 50s and 60s pretty scarce where you live? Maybe you wouldn't even know, but I've got to ask. I often dream of traveling the world and looking for LPs. I'd buy tons of Spaghetti western soundtracks in Italy, stop off in the UK for some British Psychedelia, bop on over to India for some morning ragas and some Bollywood soundtracks and then binge in Tokyo for their great reissues of EVERY kind of music!

Hey Luke, vinyl's seeing a bit of a resurgence here. Not sure about LPs from the 50s and 60s though. For vintage vinyl one just heads to "Free School Street" in Calcutta. There are a couple of stores there that have been stocking vinyl for a long time. And if you have the patience, you'll certainly find interesting stuff. Prices range between 1-4$. (I found a blogpost about someone digging around on Free School Street - Wax Poetics » Kolkata’s Record Royalty)

Modern records are available online, especially here (Music - Buy Music Online at Best Prices in India - Music, Movies & Posters | Flipkart.com), India's version of Amazon.com

Let me know if you're looking for something specific, and if anyone's travelling to Calcutta, I'll ask them to mosey around and see if they find anything. But I think you should just bite the bullet and set out on your journey. I have similar plans, but they involve food instead of music.

found this album in the car, forgot i had it. this track has become a bit of an earworm this week. reminds me of richard h. kirk . not quite as good though.

The Meters were one of the leading funk bands of the late 60s and 70s, although they didn't have the kind of mainstream success that James Brown, Sly & the Family Stone or Parliament-Funkadelic had. This tune is a lot more relaxed and lounge-y than most of their stuff, and I can't seem to shake it.

Tonight for me it's all about Bobby McFerrin. I'm just starting to appreciate what he is capable of. What a vocalist! And even better, he is really skilled at getting random audience members singing, and backing them in such a way that they sound really good.
Lots of YouTube examples available.

Back