Music The Amazing Emporium of Wondrous Tunes (aka: What are you listening to?)

Quite a few things here lately. My wife wanted to get back into vinyl, so got her an Audio Technica LP60X.

We have quite a few record stores here in Columbus, so she has been shopping around.

Her decision is to get mainly vintage records, with the thought being that a lot of the 1980’s and older albums have been recorded with vinyl in mind. Having gone back and listening to some 33’s, I can tell a difference. There is something about that sound of the record that I didn’t realize I was missing.

Anyway, the first record she got was a Johnny Mathis album. We spent about $60 today shopping about and she got 10 33’s and 3 45’s.

There are some things I want to get too, but will be looking for them used. Specifically, the soundtracks to Quentin Tarantino movies. I think they would be a tremendous value…but I can only find them new and they want $35 each.

So the fun will be in the search!

40 years. Wow I’m getting old
118BE6D8-4A87-4B5F-A362-E001C1CCF983.jpeg

Please help me out of my misery, what record is that?
Blue vinyl, sigh!
And a LP!
On what looks like a good rig!
It's Lightning to the Nations, DiamondHead - 40th anniversary re-recording
I remember it being new.
Well - that's not quite true. I remember Metallica covering them in maybe 1985/86 and that's when I got the original. On cassette tape.
The turntable is from Pro-Ject and it's playing over a Linn system (I'm not in the league of Sondek LP12s). Almost certainly not worth me paying for because I can't hear the difference between Blue vinyl and Black.

Cheers

Last edited:
I remember being in Germany with the US Army in 1984 and going into a record store in Ansbach and seeing my first CD player. I put on the headphones and listen to the clarity and lack of noise of The Pretenders debut album and was sold. As soon as I could afford to, I got one, ditched my vinyl and never missed it,

Funny how that goes :)

Sheesh, now I feel old(er). :hiding: Not really old yet (60), but for some reason most of the early memories I have are based around music. As a very young kid I'd sit and watch Lawrence Welk. Loved the TV theme songs for shows I watched. Then later, Hee Haw. And The Midnight Special. First non-kid songs I remember are Petula Clark's Downtown and Matt Munro's Born Free.

Back