Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

In the slightly rural old farmhouse where I live in southern Oregon, we are often visited by wild deer, searching for food. The vegetable garden has been fenced off with tall deer-proof fencing, but in other parts of the property, the deer will occasionally appear for a brief visit. This visitor stopped by this afternoon, with a few friends - and stared at me (in apparent disbelief?) when I quietly raised my camera...

Stylus_Nov14_21_visiting_deer#1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The long, unseasonably hot Summer, the short Autumn and now the onset of the colder weather of Winter, all seem to have conspired to bring more deer out of the neighboring farmland and forest, and into the inhabited human areas. This young deer, and several of his - or her - family members - were busy eating the fallen fruit from the crab-apple tree alongside my mailbox, which sits on an infrequently traveled rural lane. But the deer are ever watchful, turning their heads this way and that, to search for predators.

Stylus_Nov18_21_deer_at_mailbox#1.jpg

And listening, too. Which reminds me what what Little Red Riding Hood said to the Wolf who had disguised itself as her grandmother, after eating the old lady: "My, what big ears you have."

Stylus_Nov18_21_deer_at_mailbox#2.jpg

The local echidna which lives under our deck. This was the first time I'd seen it front-on, as it's usually bustling past in one direction or another. It's fond of bathing in the little pond when the weather is hot!

Edit: taken through a glass window from inside the house.

1240585-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Back