Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

DSC_2767.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

beaver brunch-DeNoiseAI-clear (2).jpg

beaver closeup-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

beaver on a log-DeNoiseAI-clear (2).jpg

Finally spotted a beaver. There are several around here, but every time I think I see one it turns out to be a muskrat. This guy is not a muskrat. I actually spotted the flat tail, briefly, and he is much larger than any of the muskrats I've seen on the lake.

Last edited:
muskrat branch2.JPG

Lakefront property owners owe Muskrats a debt of gratitude. Here a Muskrat helps preserve an unobstructed lake view by chewing off new growth branches and eating the emerging buds from the stem as if it were an ear of corn.

Another interesting fact about muskrats that may come in handy the next time you pull up a chair to watch one is, they are pretty clumsy. I watched this Muskrat weave it's way up and down the limbs of a tree overhanging a lake. It was clearly less surefooted than a squirrel, as moments after this picture was snapped the Muskrat did an unplanned Three and a Half with a quarter turn into the Lake below. He must do that a lot because he seemed none the worse for wear and swam away as if no one was watching.

I got lucky tonight and spotted a mink. Here he is giving me the side eye...
mink side eye.JPG

...and here he is getting ready to do his vanishing act.

mink 1.JPG

These guys are incredibly wary and surprisingly fast. When this mink dove back in the water tonight I was amazed at how fast he travelled underwater. The water was clear and extremely shallow, so I was able to watch his underwater transit to an impossible conglomeration of logs and branches. He was like a living torpedo!

I'll have to keep my eyes out for this guy in the coming days.

Back