Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

We have several of these resident "friends" as well. But they rarely use the same feeding station at the same time.

P9220076c.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had one of the most interesting encounters one hour ago:
OVI01573.JPG

On my way home from work, I passed a T intersection and to my right side, I saw something skinny and tall-ish that looked like a Doberman running towards me (about 10 meters away) for a split second. Then I realised it was actually a Roe Deer and not one but two (I'm not sure if they are male AND female, the 2nd one split before I could react and the picture above is the only frame I had that showed the 2ns one).

OVI01570.JPG

It was pouring rain at this point (from a drizzle when I got out from work less than 5 minutes earlier) and even though I had my camera in my goodie front pocket (I LOVE THE ABILITY TO DO THAT) I wasn't sure if I should take it out ... alas I though in about a second why the hell not, I've got nothing left to lose anymore and I start shooting. I LOVE that the deer was sitting right in the middle of the road and next to a bright street lamp, it illuminated the rain perfectly.

OVI01590.JPG

"Mister, do you have an umbrella? It's getting a bit wet here."

OVI01611.JPG

The deer decided to move perfectly in the middle of the street and stay there for a couple of minutes while I was struggling to get a good shot, the AF-S and AF-C were missing every shot so I had to turn to Manual Focus (which I haven't had to do on my Sony system, like EVER). Luckily I had Electronic Shutter on from earlier today so no risk of being too noisy. It was quite dark but the reason I turned down the shutter speed from 1/60 sec to 1/20 is that I wanted a bit of motion blur on the rain itself, and the reason why I haven't passed any of the images through Topaz DeNoise AI, I was worried the noise reduction would smear the raindrop trails too much.

OVI01612.JPG

I was quite frenetically trying to get a few sharp and in-focus shots before the deer ran off (luckily it didn't and I have up first) and before the camera and the lens would get overwhelmed by the rain (which the first sign of trouble is that the hotshoe was complaining from the rain getting in there even though I had a silicon cover in the hotshoe. I also knew that the Sony FE 85mm f 1.8 is not a weather-sealed lens despite what Sony's marketing might have you believe. (I left about 2 minutes in and 29 shots later, Single shots and not Burst). This was the 2nd time in my life that I have seen proper wildlife dear (not the Hello Humans friendly deer that live around London) came into the streets of the town, the first time it happened was during the pandemic when there was no sign, sight or sound of people in the town in over 6 months, but I didn't get to take out my camera fast enough to get a picture back then.

Back