Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

Neat that I can bicycle to the local wetlands with the Nikon 1 J5 an 75-300 CX zoom in a small sling/fanny pack. Lot's of power in a small package:

View attachment 233558
Deer at Finderne Wetlands by John Flores, on Flickr

View attachment 233559
Red-Tailed Hawk at Finderne Wetlands by John Flores, on Flickr
Impressive! Would you say it's mostly the lens - or is it the camera - or the combo? I ask because I still own (and like) my Nikon 1 V1, and there's a deal on the lens going ...

M.

2020-08-26 (Wed) 18-02-38.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Impressive! Would you say it's mostly the lens - or is it the camera - or the combo? I ask because I still own (and like) my Nikon 1 V1, and there's a deal on the lens going ...

M.

I had a V1 and it was pretty good; even had some photos taken with it published. But I did not have the 70-300 at the time. The V1 sensor was nice and I liked the colors but sensor in the J5 is better than the V1 in resolution, dynamic range, and ISO performance. The V1 would have struggled a bit more at ISO1600 than the J5 did and had fewer megapickles to work to reduce noise afterwards.

But in good light, I bet the V1 with 75-300 would be great. I miss having a viewfinder for added stability.

Two taken from a recent hike along the long, scenic and often wild Rogue River in southern Oregon.

The first, a lucky accident, really --- I spotted a small snake, curled up in a complicated figure-of-multiple-8's, asleep in the branches of a small tree--

GX8_Oct19_Rogue_River#14(Snake_in_Tree).jpg

The second at an area of the river where salmon, returning from the ocean to their upstream homes, must leap through the air, through and over pounding rapids and rocks. This shot is really a lucky accident too, being able to press the shutter at (or close to) the fraction of a second when this particular salmon made her jump--

GX8_Oct19_Rogue_River#11(Salmon_in_rapids).jpg

50788472978_c970404b07_h.jpg

Les Ânes
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Les Ânes (donkeys) used by walkers on the Robert Louis Stevenson Trail grazing in a paddock on the outskirts of Le Pont de Montvert.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D9-01: Day 9 of 12 – Le Pont de Montvert to Florac: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France

Back