Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

Little buddy crawled out for some sun and a look around.
Gator.jpg

A few from the aquarium in Atlanta.

L1000291.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1000289.jpg
L1000286.jpg
L1000276.jpg
L1000249.jpg
L1000232.jpg
L1000231.jpg

This sequence of a dozen-odd photos documents my encounter with a pair of wild rabbits, on a mountain in Oregon. As Mary Oliver once wrote, "No matter what the world preaches / spring unfolds in its appointed time". She was right, of course.

I suspect this poor little one is not long for this world. Its right rear leg was snapped completely just above the knee, and was flopping about freely as it hopped about. It was struggling to get up the steep hill to my right, as its mama was on the hill calling for it. I stopped and gave it room to pass me on my right, and it finally made its way up a less steep part of the slope.

030.JPG

Last edited:
Just a few taken while snorkeling and diving at the Caribbean island of Curaçao. All taken with an aging Olympus TG-2. I might post more at some point.

_20210707_232930.JPG

Chain moray, usually only active at night. We weren't sure if it was an eel so we kept our distance

2021_0610_16394300.jpg

Two species of surgeonfish that banded together, moving from coral to coral, gorging on (the inhabitants of) a single piece of coral en masse for twenty seconds or so, followed by a confused "where to next" phase seen here, after which the entire group got back together and gorged on/at the next coral. Highly entertaining.

2021_0610_16265100.jpg
These are just a few of these tiny silvery-transparent fish. There were schools containing millions of them, just out of arm's reach. At one point I thought the water was getting murky, only for the school to part and reveal a huge coral less than five meters away from me!

2021_0607_18404900.jpg
Scorpionfish, related to the well known stonefish. Highly venomous so we kept our distance. This one was at about 5 meters depth, but some of its relatives were in very shallow water; apparently people do get stung from time to time by standing on them. Sting in the foot is very painful but not lethal, but a sting in the torso can be dangerous.

Back