Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

Thanks, Chris.

It was amazing. Wasn't cheap to get to, but it was worth it. I want to go back and visit neighboring Lake Clark NP, too.

Kinda felt like cheating as a photog. Almost like shooting in a zoo. From the platform I took this shot from we could see at least 40 grizzlies doing their thing and were within no more than 6 feet of some of them at times.

The most interesting thing for me was seeing that each bear had its own strategy and place in the pecking order. These guys standing at the top of the falls I took to be the twenty-something show-offs of the group (to anthropomorphize a bit). They would only eat the fish that they could grab out of the air.

- K
Yeah, it’s the “not cheap to get to” part that’s held me back on that one. Maybe some day! Although totally not sure how o feel about potentially running into grizzlies on the path to and from the viewing area...that would freak me out.

Yeah, it’s the “not cheap to get to” part that’s held me back on that one. Maybe some day! Although totally not sure how o feel about potentially running into grizzlies on the path to and from the viewing area...that would freak me out.
I can't do anything about the cost, although when we went we were joined by an acquaintance of the pilot who worked at an organic farm. We got the sense that she and the pilot had basically bartered some fresh greens for the flight. So there are ways.

As long as you're there when the fish are running, you shouldn't have any trouble. They're not going to bother attacking a human when food is so plentiful. Although, there were a couple of skinny youngsters wandering about that weren't having much luck with fishing -- I told my kids to keep their eyes on those guys.

The rangers were very attentive to where the bears were. One of them carried a couple of thunder sticks he'd bang together to keep any bears from getting into things they weren't supposed to be into and he kept quite busy.

You have to go to "bear school" when you arrive. They go over all the rules (don't set anything down, give the bears lots of space, etc.) Amazingly, the record of bear-human interactions that have occurred there (according to the rangers) is very short. No real "attacks" per se, and just a few cases where bears have knocked people over in 20-30 years.

- K

Slipped up on these two guys. Full tummies and a sun ray..
Two little piggies (1 of 1).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back