Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

A random quick 'grab shot', through the screen which covers my front door, of a squirrel who bounded into view, his mouth filled with a small black walnut, before instantly bounding away (initially up a tree, then who knows where?) and disappearing.

EM5_Oct24_22_squirrel_with_black_walnut.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A random quick 'grab shot', through the screen which covers my front door, of a squirrel who bounded into view, his mouth filled with a small black walnut, before instantly bounding away (initially up a tree, then who knows where?) and disappearing.

View attachment 343879
Well done through a screen door, Miguel. I'm amazed that you got anything worth looking at! That shot's quite presentable. It captures the essence and the moment.

Well done through a screen door, Miguel. I'm amazed that you got anything worth looking at! That shot's quite presentable. It captures the essence and the moment.

Thank you, John.
I saw the squirrel, ran for my camera, lifted it and shot one frame and - the squirrel half-saw, half-sensed me - and ran for it. And the screen is rather thick but I knew that if I tried to open it, the sound would make the squirrel disappear - so I just pressed the shutter and prayed.

Thank you, John.
I saw the squirrel, ran for my camera, lifted it and shot one frame and - the squirrel half-saw, half-sensed me - and ran for it. And the screen is rather thick but I knew that if I tried to open it, the sound would make the squirrel disappear - so I just pressed the shutter and prayed.
Serendipity always plays some part in any photo, mate.

@mike3996
THANKS.
Did you shoot B&W or convert?
I noticed you use GIMP for post. That was another question. GIMP appears too complex for my limited experience. I’m still a PP newb using Snapseed.

@mike3996
THANKS.
I noticed you use GIMP for post. That was another question. GIMP appears too complex for my limited experience. I’m still a PP newb using Snapseed.
Try Paint.net If you’re only doing jpegs. Totally free, open source. Gets updated regularly. Was originally supposed to replace the old Paint program in Windows but was abandoned, the developer kept it going as a stand alone. It has just enough processing and effects to be worthwhile, but is simple to use and looks familiar. It will also do layers if you want to learn that.

@mike3996
THANKS.
With raw it's always in color. It looks like a terrible mess because the scene itself was void of color as it was void of light. B&W was the easiest choice to make.

I use GIMP seldom enough that I might truthfully say I never use it in post-processing. In this case I did take the final darktable-output to it because I have this GMIC suite of scripts there, one of which helps to combat banding noise. I tolerate noise very well but banding noise looks bad.

Try Paint.net If you’re only doing jpegs. Totally free, open source. Gets updated regularly. Was originally supposed to replace the old Paint program in Windows but was abandoned, the developer kept it going as a stand alone. It has just enough processing and effects to be worthwhile, but is simple to use and looks familiar. It will also do layers if you want to learn that.
Or FastStone Viewer, even better, with colour managed environment and a reasonable photo management program as well. Free, but I donated anyway.

further to my Bennetts Wallaby post the little joey is growing well and now comes out of the pouch and struts around the lawn in full view
We have our closeup viewing of each other which is rather awesome
PA263301P-DR.jpg
PA273377p-DRS.jpg
PA273365P-DR.jpg
PA251689P-DRS1.jpg

Back