Animals The Animal Kingdom: wild or domestic!

The things you see when walking the dog! This deer, and it's buddy off camera had no fear of me or my barking dog this morning. Of course if you saw my dog you wouldn't be frightened either. But these guys are sure losing their fear of people now that deer season is a few months behind us.
deer at lake pointe.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This large Black Bear was probably just out of hibernation and foraging on green grass shoots to ramp-up his digestive system for the summer.
He was grazing on the road shoulder and basically ignored the car and us as we snapped away from about 30 feet. Not a common sight;
it's been several years since spotting a bear this close-up and personal. Tough shot in the afternoon sun--a black bear in light grey brush confused the system
and I wasn't waiting around to adjust for the special situation. ;) ;)

1684094741595.jpeg

He left the scene to just wait us out in the nearby brush.

D0000795b-wc.JPG

OVI04414-Edit.JPG

The dragonflies season is in full swing.

OVI04423-Edit.JPG

I have never seen one actually eat "something". Took me by surprise to notice it was chewing on another insect.

OVI04429-Edit.JPG

I can't decide if it's more vicious then a Lady Bug or a more beautiful killer.

OVI04463-Edit.JPG

The brown blob behind was another one just like it, in the same position and same size and same shape.

OVI04767-Edit.JPG

Not so lucky for the bee but very lucky for the ants. (At 0.3 meters minimum focus distance, 1:2 magnification end of 70mm the edges get quite crazy with flat field distortion, the sharpness fall of a cliff like a Wilhelm Scream)

OVI04795-Edit.JPG

There are so many fishes in the Great Western Canal, from tiny to deliciously large enough to fish for a meal. It was interesting that the bright sunlight was making spotlights in the water from gaps in the trees above.

OVI04797-Edit.JPG

Cute little black/blue metallic waterbugs running on the water and making blobs of shadows on the bottom.

I stopped by a fox den I've shot in previous years. As it turned out there was plenty going on, three Kits this year, these images are some from yesterday and today.
fox kit backlit stare.JPG

fox kit grass mouth.JPG

fox kits two (2).JPG

fox kit in den.JPG

fox kit closeup.JPG

I was going to check on some flowers in our garden when this little fur ball ran right next to me, almost over my foot and then he stopped under a shade tree and looked at me for a bit, then he dug down to the cool earth and stretched out in the hole he dug. Never was concerned about me at all.

DSCF3610.jpg
DSCF3613.jpg
DSCF3615.jpg
DSCF3626.jpg

Back