Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - announcement

Name
Matt
Start Date
Apr 1, 2020
End Date
Apr 30, 2020
Ladies and gentlemen,

Cameraderie presents the April 2020 Challenge.

We're doing it! We're going to gift each other with our best daily images for a whole month.

But please, remember that these are trying times; we all have to handle the situation as well as we possibly can.

For that reason, we've decided not to enforce the stricter rules of a "Single in" challenge.

Instead, we simply invite and encourage you to:
  • shoot daily,
  • post your best image each day,
  • pick a specific setup to use and explore.
However, you also may:
  • shoot and post as much as you want,
  • use whatever gear you want.
Remember, it's still essential to:
  • post images regularily so that others can see and enjoy them,
  • review and enjoy the image others have taken regularily,
  • encourage each other through supportive reactions and comments,
  • remember that every contribution is welcome,
  • take care - this is not the time to take unnecessary risks.
Whatever you do, you should not:
  • feel any external pressure to do anything you can't or don't want to do,
  • expect others to adhere to any rules you've decided to follow yourself.
No further rules and restrictions are mandatory, but here are a few tips for a fruitful daily challenge:
  • Challenges like this one are a great way to get to the bottom of a piece of gear, a shooting style or a certain type of images; try something new or unfamiliar.
  • Purposeful restrictions are a great means to get the creative juices flowing - so, if you see a way to do so, restrict your gear, your subject matter, your shooting style, your technique and/or your way of processing and presenting your images.
  • For some, using only one setup for a whole month is specifically demanding, but also hugely rewarding. It means: no cherry-picking, but perseverence. If you've never tried it, you may want to find out if you can do it - this is a great opportunity to find out.
  • Mutual support is the best way to make the challenge a success for everyone.
After some discussion, I've concluded that there should be daily threads, at least at the beginning; it has been proposed to use longer threads to encourage ongoing exchanges, but that will be provided for by separate threads for "behind the scenes" talk (and images) and "outtakes and alternatives", so you'll have plenty of opportunity for discussion and chatter.

Important: If you ever miss anything you'd like to have or see, just tell me, I'll try to make things work to your satisfaction.

I'm very happy about the high turnout and excited to get this thing started; let's see what we can put together!

Your host,
M.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm not clear on, or happy about, the "take care" messaging. I know you say that it's not supposed to restrict our choice of subject matter but the reality is that it will... Words have weight, and momentum. They have their own gravitational field, their own weather system. Once said, they are out there and once seen, they cannot be ignored. They take up residence in the back of our minds and gently influence, subtly guide.

I may be speaking personally, but I'll struggle to rise above "take care", and will feel moved - almost obliged - to follow, like a child of Hamelin... :(

I have to say I'm not clear on, or happy about, the "take care" messaging. I know you say that it's not supposed to restrict our choice of subject matter but the reality is that it will... Words have weight, and momentum. They have their own gravitational field, their own weather system. Once said, they are out there and once seen, they cannot be ignored. They take up residence in the back of our minds and gently influence, subtly guide.

I may be speaking personally, but I'll struggle to rise above "take care", and will feel moved - almost obliged - to follow, like a child of Hamelin... :(
You're not the first to object, so I think I overdid it with this; I'll remove it from the titles and just keep it around in the text.

I know what you're speaking of - I'm a linguist as well as a writer. However, I felt there should be a reminder that this can't be handled like previous challenges, it needs a steady hand and a clear mind as well as stamina and creativity.

However, no use fighting over it. It was just an idea I had, and I felt it fitted. This doesn't seem to be the case, so it's best to change it before the confusion spreads.

M.

Last edited:
I tend not to read things so the "take care" message wouldn't have influenced my choice of subject matter, that usually means I end up just blundering about. These days at least when I then fall flat on my face I can then use the excuse that I'm old and ....... I've taken to wishing people "good luck" in these troubled times, part of the message Edward R Murrow used as a sign off line in past dark times.

Barrie

I took this as expressing concerns such as "do not go into crowed places to get people shots". I realize this does imply a restriction on your range of shots but anytime someone says "take care" they are usually urging you not to do something you might consider doing. My mother-in-law always said "Be careful" when Debbie and I left for a date. I quickly understood that this was not referring to our choice of restaurant. :whistle: To be honest, I hadn't realized when I wrote my previous post that a number of folks had taken this particular "take care" in different ways.

Back