Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 11

I will cheat again today. I did end up taking another photo last night after I had posted the photo from the day before. So, I have not missed a day of shooting yet, but have posted with a one day delay. In any event, this is my photo for Day 11 (shot on Day 10):

View attachment 218409
Zulma by Antonio Ramirez, on Flickr

This is, again, a photo of my wife Zulma. Just having some fun playing with lights in our makeshift studio (also known as our bedroom).

Cheers,

Antonio
Now that is a subject and pose that SHOULD be a painting as well.

On reflection...
2020_0411_18420500-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

December 1917 Finland got independency and already on January 1918 began civil war between Reds and Whites, working men against upper class. These bullet holes and grenade marks on the bridge, called The Long Bridge, between then Reds' and Whites' areas are stil after 100 years visible to remind us about the madness then evolved. The bridge itself is not physically very long, but at that time it made all the difference mentally and socially. These days the holes touches somewhere very deep in ones soul and make your eyes moist [bl...y wind]

2020 April Day 11 967 NIKON Df 58.0 mm f-1.4.jpg

DAY 11 - Feeling kind of exhausted from hunting those cute details around home, I'm heading out for several days of garden safari. Fuji XE2 and Jupiter-8, a vintage 50mm f2 lens.
View attachment 218439

Damn, Milan, this is a....remarkable photograph.
I hope you keep on using this lens + camera combination after the Singles-in-April month is finished because....you are really creating some fine images with it. Seriously.

Thank you, Miguel, much obliged!
Don't know if I will continue to use this little Jupiter - I like the results, but not really the feel of lens and especially the working distance, I prefer lenses that focus closer.
Once the isolation is over, I'll try my Minolta and M42 lenses on Fuji XE2 - don't have the adapter yet - and see what will suit me better.

Very quick snap ..... of our supper this evening. Almost forgot! I went into the garden this morning and took some garden pics with the A9 and FE85 1.4. I feel that the Leica and 50mm are not particularly suited to close up focus, requiring cropping so tend not to use this combo for that.

L1003538-Edit-3.jpg

Roasted butternut squash, Feta cheese and a sprinkling of rocket.

Very quick snap ..... of our supper this evening. Almost forgot! I went into the garden this morning and took some garden pics with the A9 and FE85 1.4. I feel that the Leica and 50mm are not particularly suited to close up focus, requiring cropping so tend not to use this combo for that.

View attachment 218474

I really like this photograph, and what you have done with it.
And....damn! the butternut squash + feta + rocket .... looks almost illegally scrumptious!

Something a little different because something pretty unexpected has happened over the last couple of weeks: I had never really used my office except as a kind of glorified archive - paper stacks everywhere, and of course the library. Because of that, I did most of my actual work in the living room (the fact that I have a whole stack of laptop computers exacerbated that trend - it was too easy). But in the past four weeks, I gradually converted my office into an efficient and ergonomically satisfactory work space. Even though not quite everything is fully set up (I still need one more adapter - ordered it today), this is the end state. In spite of the reasons for that transformation, I'm pretty pleased with the result, so I thought I'd share ...

View attachment 218436

Oh, and on a side note, the GR III is really well suited for this kind of documentary shot in confined spaces ...

M.
Nicely done. Cleaning up my office is on my list, too, especially now that I've stopped shooting as a profession (for money, that is). Stuck on whether it's okay to throw away my paper client files.

Gave up the 50mm for my 70-200 to capture backyard wildlife. Now I know why wildlife photographers want the 400mm, if not more. The squirrels in my backyard LOVE peanut suet. They're finishing one off in less than 24 hours. These little guys are quite acrobatic, by the way.

MBond_200411_8929.jpg

Day 11: Old (19th century) Cabin

It's warmed up in southern Oregon, today is a surprisingly warm and sunny Spring day. I live in an oldish farmhouse, built in 1902, and outside the trees and flowers are in bloom, bumblebees and honeybees are everywhere, and the grass which covers large portions of the garden is starting to grow to jungle-like proportions. The man who built this house, generations ago, had come to this area at the turn of the previous century; before building his home (the house I live in, now), there had previously been only one other dwelling on this small parcel of land: an old 19th century cabin, built reputedly by local miners. The cabin still stands and is used for storage of assorted farm or building or garden implements. This morning, because of the warm weather - and the accompanying light - I ventured into it.

The walls, made out of old wood from local trees, had been covered by decorative wall-paper in the late 19th century. Much of it has peeled off and disintegrated, showing the old wood of the original cabin walls. I kept staring at the play of light and shadow, and the almost blinding (to one standing inside) brilliance of the light coming through this ancient window.

PenF_Day11_Cabin_window_VSCOPortra160Alt+.jpg

After a lot of failed attempts at small birds as they flit around the tree and feeder, I caught a few of a Verdin. These are mainly insectivores, but they will also go after nectar and dried drops of hummingbird feed. These are a unique bird in the US, the only member of the Old World family Remizidae in North America.
original.jpg

Gave up the 50mm for my 70-200 to capture backyard wildlife. Now I know why wildlife photographers want the 400mm, if not more. The squirrels in my backyard LOVE peanut suet. They're finishing one off in less than 24 hours. These little guys are quite acrobatic, by the way.

.View attachment 218482

Squirrels are smart and quite the problem solvers. I've seen them figure out they could climb an old metal clothesline pole to get to a feeder out of reach by any other means.

Great shot of their acrobatics.

View attachment 218474

What time’s dinner? I’ll be there!

Back