Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 14

Tell you what, they took PPE proper seriously back in Victorian times...
2020_0414_12534700-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cold, cloudy, windy, and a few flakes of the white stuff! So, back inside. This time to the wood shop. Started training one of my granddaughters in hand tool wood working. While she works, I started a box for tea. Some of the cut pieces. Mine are mostly machine cut.
Again, the phone to the rescue.

20200414_140317.jpg

I didn't have this completely interesting and by all means different thread on my screen, and somehow I missed the starting point, too.
So I'll try and get one a day too and stick to the LX 100.2 .
In these times you need somebody and something you can lean on ... already while eating one's breakfast egg.
P1024531.1.JPG

Last edited:
I went out this morning to take more photos on Peters Hill, and then, later, while I was making my lunch I was struck by the simplicity and vibrancy of these red and yellow peppers sitting on my cutting board with the sun shining on them and creating these hard shadows. And there you have it, except you don't, because I ate them, or at least the parts I cut off. And they were as good as they look. Fresh, moist, flavorful.

MBond_200414_9191.jpg

The tail block must fit tightly to the inside curve of the ukulele body. With the body sides held snugly in a building form, the Mahogany block is vigorously rubbed against coarse self-stick sandpaper stuck to the body, checking often for even sanding. When all of the pencil rubbings have been removed evenly, the block is ready for gluing.

View attachment 218901
This is even better than the Single In July set!! This is the start of coursework for building.

Day....14, apparently. So, I think I will switch to a constraint-based theme for the rest of the month. I will try to use the Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0. I really need to bond with that thing better. AND manual focus will be a good challenge for these old computer screen eyes.

Despite the sub-freezing temperature, I managed to get a short walk in. This just felt so hopeful - and we can all use that these days. Nature assures us that Spring IS coming.

14-4140024.jpg

Day 14: utility/telephone pole, downtown

Funny how in the quarantine the days seem to bleed into one another, metaphorically speaking, and it's hard to remember which day of the week it is. Or was...or will be. But today I had to walk - from my old farmhouse just outside of city limits - to the Post Office downtown, in the small Oregon town where I live, to mail a letter. Wasn't honestly feeling much like taking pictures of anything. Except for the old disease of the roaming eyeball, I supposed - while my feet walk down the sidewalk, my eyes roam hither and thither, and ---

They settled upon the textures of what used to be called a telephone pole - except in this day and age of internet, fiber-optic and broadband, I think the new correct term is 'utility pole' - which was standing alongside the sidewalk, next to some dense shrubs and trees. And the wood itself of the pole looked as though it had either survived a mutant alien attack, or was breeding a new strain of urban fungi, or possibly had survived a small localized conflagration. So up came the Pen F and---- Voilà!

PenF_Day14_Utility_pole.jpg

Taken with one of the modified jpeg-Color Profiles from the Pen F's front dial - it's strange to be shooting only jpeg's with this camera, I wonder how long that will last.

Back of the Laguiole showing the forged bee and the hand-filed work on the spring. As I understand it, due to the knives being handmade with freehand file work, no two are alike.

View attachment 218891

Beautifully shot.
Beautiful knife.

Day 14: utility/telephone pole, downtown

Funny how in the quarantine the days seem to bleed into one another, metaphorically speaking, and it's hard to remember which day of the week it is. Or was...or will be. But today I had to walk - from my old farmhouse just outside of city limits - to the Post Office downtown, in the small Oregon town where I live, to mail a letter. Wasn't honestly feeling much like taking pictures of anything. Except for the old disease of the roaming eyeball, I supposed - while my feet walk down the sidewalk, my eyes roam hither and thither, and ---

They settled upon the textures of what used to be called a telephone pole - except in this day and age of internet, fiber-optic and broadband, I think the new correct term is 'utility pole' - which was standing alongside the sidewalk, next to some dense shrubs and trees. And the wood itself of the pole looked as though it had either survived a mutant alien attack, or was breeding a new strain of urban fungi, or possibly had survived a small localized conflagration. So up came the Pen F and---- Voilà!

View attachment 218969

Taken with one of the modified jpeg-Color Profiles from the Pen F's front dial - it's strange to be shooting only jpeg's with this camera, I wonder how long that will last.

Wonderful color.

Back