Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 18

Early one, this hangs around the place but never gets used.

DSC_1129.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is my idea of a lazy day. Straight after breakfast I was out of the kitchen door in light drizzle to photograph these seeded grass stems through the post and rail fence around my cottage and left at the edge of the meadow where Graham's mower couldn't reach, so I walked about 5 yards! Now there's time to prepare my slow cooked curry ready for this evening.

200418-1090143.jpg

Blowing in the wind

Barrie

Some of us are afflicted with a subset of GAS that I call UBO – Ukulele Building Obsession. I have become particularly interested in cigar box instruments in recent months. I’ve never been a cigar smoker, but many of those boxes have attractive graphics, like these tiny Sam’l Davis 1886 boxes I received yesterday. Compare them in size to the trapezoidal tenor uke body, which is also cigar box inspired.

Not all cigar boxes are constructed in a way that makes them acoustically suitable. My first CBU has nice graphics, but is not as musically resonant as I would like. The 1886 boxes shown here are known for being well constructed of top quality woods. The great Hawaiian luthier Sam Kamaka, Jr. (now in his 90s) made twelve ukuleles from a lot of sixty Davis 1886 boxes he was given. Displaying Mr. Kamaka’s impeccable craftsmanship, his instruments are both beautiful and musically resonant. A rare sight on the used market, an authentic Kamaka 1886 ukulele will set one back around $2,000 USD, if not more. I plan to build a concert scale and soprano scale ukulele from these boxes.

Day 18.JPG

Back