Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 2

2020-04-02-17-22-MP005926_01.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I also cheated a little. I knew I had to get a photo so I decided to take the camera around my neck, covered with a scarf ..... and switched the lens from the 50mm Summilux to the 50mm Sonnar (Zeiss). This is because it's small and neat and a whole lot lighter for taking the dog for a walk to the woods. I was quite please with the shots I got. One thing about the Zeiss is that is is incredibly sharp, not something I really like in the kind of pics I take normally although useful for travel!

L1003150-Edit.jpg

I had in mind to take a shot of a fallen tree that has been across the path for over a week. As luck would have it, today they had moved it and begun to chop it into logs!

@theoldsmithy
How do you like that 7Artisans 25mm? Judging by your image, and the other samples I have seen, the image quality is more than good enough for me - I'm more curious about the feel of the lens, how dumpened the focus ring is, how easy (or not) is movement of the aperture, does the lens attach firmly on mount or is it a bit wobbly... Stuff like that, please.

@theoldsmithy
How do you like that 7Artisans 25mm? Judging by your image, and the other samples I have seen, the image quality is more than good enough for me - I'm more curious about the feel of the lens, how dumpened the focus ring is, how easy (or not) is movement of the aperture, does the lens attach firmly on mount or is it a bit wobbly... Stuff like that, please.
I believe earlier 7artisans lenses suffered from variable build quality, but I think they have sorted out those issues on this lens. It feels very solid. The attachment is absolutely fine - no wobble and not too stiff either. Both focus and aperture rings are smooth but need some effort to move. I think thatā€™s good as they donā€™t get nudged accidentally. Mine came with a stick-on rubber tab to put onto the focus ring, which improves usability enormously. Without that tab, the focus ring is a bit slippery.

Last edited:
As part of my month long focus on the local effects of COVID-19, this is the door of our local wine store, Solera. I like it because of its messiness, and especially because it says OPEN, even though when I took this, the store was closed. It reminds me of how easy it is to forget to do what most people think would be as simple as can be, that is, flip the sign from OPEN to CLOSED. Maybe it's the chaos of the moment that caused them to forget. I used to have a retail store, so the hope and promise of everything Marjorie, Marie and Michael have posted here appeals to me. Poignant.
MBond_200402_8467.jpg

I believe earlier 7artisans lenses suffered from variable build quality, but I think they have sorted out those issues on this lens. It feels very solid. The attachment is absolutely fine - no wobble and not too stiff either. Both focus and aperture rings are smooth but need some effort to move. I think thatā€™s good as they donā€™t get nudged accidentally. Mine came with a stick-on rubber tab to put onto the focus ring, which improves usability enormously. Without that tab, the focus ring is a bit slippery.
I have the 7artisans 25mm for m4/3 as well - mine did not come with a stick-on focus tab (now I'm jealous) but it's none too bad of a lens. A little heavy for its size, and the aperture ring is a bit wobbly, but never so much so that I felt like it would fall off. I don't use it a ton, I feel like manual focus lenses for smaller sensors like m4/3 often result in slight focus imperfections which are a little ugly. Really large aperture and/or long focal lengths are somewhat of an exception - basically the shallower DoF you can get the less focus imperfections show up in digital files.

Back