Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 20

Harleston Church shot into the sun with my new GX9. No flare.
P1000282.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Harleston Church shot into the sun with my new GX9. No flare.
View attachment 219838
New GX9? How do you like it? I was looking for one, when I came across an 'open box' E-M5.2 for a price that was beyond great. So I grabbed it for the Composite mode and High Res mode. Now I should really set myself an assignment to USE those features.
I still LOVE shooting the GX85 though.

New GX9? How do you like it? I was looking for one, when I came across an 'open box' E-M5.2 for a price that was beyond great. So I grabbed it for the Composite mode and High Res mode. Now I should really set myself an assignment to USE those features.
I still LOVE shooting the GX85 though.
Sorry @Hageneth for stepping in; I've owned both cameras and still have the GX9; the enhancements over the GX85 are all incremental, but taken as a whole, I think they're worth it. However, I think the GX85 still offers the best value for the money in the current :mu43: market - depending on the price you pay for a GX9 (or E-M5 II), of course. Both GX bodies are very similar (with notable differences) and pleasant to shoot, the GX9 solves a couple of minor issues I had with the GX85 and upgrades the whole sensor/imaging pipeline (including I.B.I.S.). IQ and speed are both great - it punches way above its class in that respect. That said, the GX85 is no slouch in that respect either - if you're happy with it, there's no definite reason to upgrade. Had I known when the E-M5 III would be available, I might not have upgraded from the GX80/85.

The only real gripe I have concerns both cameras: The EVF isn't on par with other offerings in the :mu43: world; eye relief is simply not there for me (I wear glasses). After using the camera for some time, I more or less forget about it, so it's certainly adequate - but coming back from just about every other camera (except maybe the A6000), I feel it's really not that great. Even the G1X III has a better unit, and that's tiny. The E-M5 III is miles ahead in that respect (even though its magnification is reduced from the E-M5 II you have - but the OLED panel is a really nice upgrade).

There are also some omissions in terms of customisability, but again, that's something you only see when comparing it to other cameras. They're both extremely well equipped for their size and price. The only real limitation: If you're looking for a hybrid camera, you're better served elsewhere ...

M.

Sorry @Hageneth for stepping in; I've owned both cameras and still have the GX9; the enhancements over the GX85 are all incremental, but taken as a whole, I think they're worth it. However, I think the GX85 still offers the best value for the money in the current :mu43: market - depending on the price you pay for a GX9 (or E-M5 II), of course. Both GX bodies are very similar (with notable differences) and pleasant to shoot, the GX9 solves a couple of minor issues I had with the GX85 and upgrades the whole sensor/imaging pipeline (including I.B.I.S.). IQ and speed are both great - it punches way above its class in that respect. That said, the GX85 is no slouch in that respect either - if you're happy with it, there's no definite reason to upgrade. Had I known when the E-M5 III would be available, I might not have upgraded from the GX80/85.

The only real gripe I have concerns both cameras: The EVF isn't on par with other offerings in the :mu43: world; eye relief is simply not there for me (I wear glasses). After using the camera for some time, I more or less forget about it, so it's certainly adequate - but coming back from just about every other camera (except maybe the A6000), I feel it's really not that great. Even the G1X III has a better unit, and that's tiny. The E-M5 III is miles ahead in that respect (even though its magnification is reduced from the E-M5 II you have - but the OLED panel is a really nice upgrade).

There are also some omissions in terms of customisability, but again, that's something you only see when comparing it to other cameras. They're both extremely well equipped for their size and price. The only real limitation: If you're looking for a hybrid camera, you're better served elsewhere ...

M.
Thanks! Just what I was hoping for; real world, real user experience.

Day 20. I refuse to be sick! Another breaking of parole for a few quick full pace miles before getting ready for the day. Took the camera with the intent of getting something for this thread. Found this in the yard of the Parks & Recreation Department for the city.
Starting to get more comfortable with the Laowa. Yay!
Forgive the processing, it's what I envisioned. Shot in jpg and pushed.
View attachment 219835

It's a great shot.
And, personally, I like the way you've processed it quite a bit.
The only other thing I really want to add: you are doing nice things with the Laowa lens....and I'm looking forwards to see what else you will do with it :)

Day 20: cloudy day on the Bike Path

In southern Oregon, it is threatening rain, with rain clouds slowly but surely amassing. Which is a good thing, as the entire area - southern Oregon and northern California - is still suffering from below-average snowfall, rainfall, and drought conditions which have persisted for a few years. I went for a ride on the local bike path, riding to the next town over; at the halfway point I stopped, stretched muscles....and this is what I saw---

PenF_Day20_Bike_Path_V2(Mono 2-SlvrEfex).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Initially taken with the Pen F's Mono 2 monochrome Profile, then tweaked a bit in PP.

Last edited:

M.
Could you say more about the ‘eye relief’? I’m still using a Canon 5DMarkIV, so I don’t really know what you’re talking about. Recently retired from shooting professionally, and will be buying into the mirrorless or 4/3 market, so I’m interested. If this thread should be elsewhere, please say. I’m new to this group and not familiar with the rules.

Day 20. I refuse to be sick! Another breaking of parole for a few quick full pace miles before getting ready for the day. Took the camera with the intent of getting something for this thread. Found this in the yard of the Parks & Recreation Department for the city.
Starting to get more comfortable with the Laowa. Yay!
Forgive the processing, it's what I envisioned. Shot in jpg and pushed.
View attachment 219835
I like the processing. Interesting line between a photograph and art.

Back