Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 21

Matt didn't want to milk the fact that this is day 21 of the challenge, I've got no such scruples! Along with the fact that I'm not up to the challenge of fighting the gusty wind that at the moment is rattling my doors and windows to attempt outdoor macro photography here's my Voigtlander 21mm LTM lens (dusty isn't it?). Yes I know it's early in the day, but the wind is forecast to last the rest of the day with little decrease in its strength. Then it's due to ease thankfully. Perhaps I should spend part of my day cleaning and dusting my photography kit! You'll see from this poor effort that product photography is not my strength!

200421-1090186.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is how it was when I started taking photographs, aperture rings and depth of field scales. They were very important, my first camera was an 8 on 120 rollfilm Voigtander Bessa 1 folding rollfilm camera with a very rudimentary viewfinder. I still use them when using these lenses.

Thanks to Matt for planting the idea of this subject in my brain and my apology's for not following through on the second half of your message and keeping up the good work, perhaps a rest today will revitalise me (well we can but hope). I'll try and avoid the temptation of using my 25mm lens in four days time!

Barrie

Bokeh imo is a bit like street photography insofar as it’s subjective and there are not really any rules, we can basically make up our own, much to the annoyance of some who strongly disagree. For me, bokeh (which I don’t obsess about) is about the balls and the rendering thereof, I won’t even submit an image to the bokeh image thread on this forum unless my image has them and this is how the 50mm F1.8 renders ‘em.

My lens for this challenge has performed great but here we see the reason why it’s $50, even though I reckon it’s just as sharp and blurs the background just as well as the $2k 58mm f1.4 Nikkor. Can you imagine how magnificent those balls would look if I was using that latter lens? I can and I’ve never even owned or used it. And here we come to the big question - whether we value that bokeh enough to pay up to 40 times more. Doesn’t make logical sense does it and yet sometimes we still do it.

DSC_1182.jpg

Bokeh imo is a bit like street photography insofar as it’s subjective and there are not really any rules, we can basically make up our own, much to the annoyance of some who strongly disagree. For me, bokeh (which I don’t obsess about) is about the balls and the rendering thereof, I won’t even submit an image to the bokeh image thread on this forum unless my image has them and this is how the 50mm F1.8 renders ‘em.

My lens for this challenge has performed great but here we see the reason why it’s $50, even though I reckon it’s just as sharp and blurs the background just as well as the $2k 58mm f1.4 Nikkor. Can you imagine how magnificent those balls would look if I was using that latter lens? I can and I’ve never even owned or used it. And here we come to the big question - whether we value that bokeh enough to pay up to 40 times more. Doesn’t make logical sense does it and yet sometimes we still do it.

View attachment 219904
I'm a big fan of "do not push this button" pictures. It is the very image of human defiance.

Neck alignment on any stringed instrument is critical, and it begins here with attaching the fretboard. Many people have various tricks and jigs they employ for the task, but I did it the old-fashioned way, just skimming on the epoxy, lining up the registration marks I made, and measuring repeatedly as each clamp was tightened incrementally. One doesn't want to come back after the glue has cured and find something has slipped out of place (spoken from bitter experience). Now the neck is ready for final shaping and sanding.

Day 21.JPG

Back