Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 23

With apologies to Tony Turley. Bonus points if you can correctly name the instrument.

full

Cheers,

Antonio
What lens, settings? How did you create this blur? Love it, which is why I want to know. :)

Day 23: Stovetop espresso

I go back and forth between different ways of making a morning cup of coffee. Often it has been a classic drip; for awhile it was a French press; and for the past 5 or 6 months it has been one of the so-called 'stovetop espresso' makers. Except the one I formerly had succumbed after I accidentally left it on the open stove cooking for an extra half hour which pretty much destroyed half of it. But there is a Spanish saying I learned from my mother - "No hay mal que por bien no venga" - which translates more or less to: every time something bad happens, something good (usually) results from it. In my case, the 'good' was the replacement stovetop espresso maker I bought: this one is made by Alessi, in Italy, and features an elegant and minimalistic design. Which is all very nice but the best part is: it makes truly fabulous coffee.

PenF_Day23_Stovetop_espresso.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The funny part is: my modern Italian espresso maker....sits atop my ancient, battered, anything-but-pristine but still functional 50's vintage Gaffers & Sattler gas stove. I guess I'm fond of contrasts, and not just photographically speaking.

I go back and forth between different ways of making a morning cup of coffee. Often it has been a classic drip; for awhile it was a French press; and for the past 5 or 6 months it has been one of the so-called 'stovetop espresso' makers. Except the one I formerly had succumbed after I accidentally left it on the open stove cooking for an extra half hour which pretty much destroyed half of it. But there is a Spanish saying I learned from my mother - "No hay mal que por bien no venga" - which translates more or less to: every time something bad happens, something good (usually) results from it. In my case, the 'good' was the replacement stovetop espresso maker I bought: this one is made by Alessi, in Italy, and features an elegant and minimalistic design. Which is all very nice but the best part is: it makes truly fabulous coffee.

View attachment 220244

The funny part is: my modern Italian espresso maker....sits atop my ancient, battered, anything-but-pristine but still functional 50's vintage Gaffers & Sattler gas stove. I guess I'm fond of contrasts, and not just photographically speaking.
Best way to make an espresso with these - I actually use a camping cooker to get the best results from mine, much better than on a modern kitchen range! :2thumbs:

M.

View attachment 220244

I LOVE coffee from a greca.

View attachment 220244

You just get the best espresso with these ... and nothing beats the sound.
During my studies in Edinburgh my flatmate (a Scotsman who had spent one year in Italy) would call his girlfriend from her room with the the shout: "orgasm coffee's ready" as soon as the typical sound came out of the pot.

View attachment 220244

The old stove makes for better pictures.

Well.....I keep looking at - and admiring - the TinTin characters in this wonderful series of yours, Karen - and somewhere in the back of what passes for my mind, I keep wondering: well this (newest or latest) photograph in the series is so cool ... how can you ever 'top' that?

Your Day 23 entry though - of one of the Thompson Twins (which one, I wonder?!) ... walking away from the camera ... so we only see the back of his trademark bowler hat ..... does exactly that: it raises the bar, once again.

It's a great image. And (sorry for repeating myself) a great series. And even better for those who are lucky enough to have spent some time (whether hours, days, or years) reading and rereading the TinTin books. As a former-and-still-occasional-TinTin-junkie, all I can say is: thanks. Really.

... the one I formerly had succumbed after I accidentally left it on the open stove cooking for an extra half hour which pretty much destroyed half of it.
I destroyed our last one by putting it on the stove without any water inside. Everything was fine until it started steaming in an unusual way (funny, it's not bubbling yet) and then there was a strong smell of burning plastic. Exit one stovetop coffee maker. The replacement is made by Bialetti of Italy and it is a thing of beauty. We enjoy the drama of the coffee suddenly bubbling up almost as much as drinking the end product. We've also found that standing the coffee maker on a cast iron "hob reducer" is a much better arrangement than just letting it teeter around on the centre cap of the gas burner.

-R

Day 23. Well, poo!!! I completely forgot until just a few minutes ago, then try to quickly scout around before heading to bed. And this on the day when it seems everyone has hit some sort of inspired image-making. Did I miss the memo? Was I asleep when the muse called y'all?

So, all I have is crapola compared to what you all have posted. Still, you have inspired me to go out and look for images to share tomorrow. I DID get the garden carpeting finished today; so that's something. Here is an abstract, but perhaps the outtakes today are the better images from me.

23-4230013.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back