Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 28

My imagination is reminded of the pandemic horror film "28 Days Later". Pure fiction, but my mind goes to strange places sometimes . . .
Sorry for that ... I didn't want to allude to anything else than a couple of lines in the song (super-quirky idea, I know, but I was becoming desperate - and was very tired):

He gave her his town house and his racing horses
Each meal she ate was a dozen courses
She had a million dollars worth of nickels and dimes
She sat around and counted them all a million times

M.

With a very slack low pressure system virtually overhead at first light this morning and a short break in the rain the grass immediately outside the kitchen door presented itself as a subject, so breakfast was put on hold to obtain this image. This is the same grass that was pictured blowing in the wind on day 18. How different today with an even longer shutter time and no real visible movement. With rain forecast for much of the day and windy conditions once it clears I've decided to post this image immediately, now I can go and have my delayed breakfast.

200428-1090542-1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Grasses in the rain

Edit:
Since posting the original image I've thought about my treatment of it and have substituted it with this gentler interpretation of the scene. My previous vision was quite harsh. If I'd been using my windows machine I would have gone to sepia in Silver Efex but I've done all of this in GIMP under Linux so am still experimenting with what I can do in the way of manipulating images other than a straight monochrome conversion. Given today's forecast of rain, or as pictogramax so poetically puts it "the sky is crying", I'll have time for further experiments.

Barrie

Last edited:
GAS! My active listening open back headphones (AKG K601) are getting a bit old. I mostly listen to speakers or when using headphones closed back Bluetooth headphones nowadays, but really enjoy the occasional open back headphone session. There’s something special about that. So I am looking to replace the AKG’s and was considering the 660s. Or the Quad ERA-1. Or.... You get the point. And some people say photography leads to GAS....

Last edited:
GAS! My active listening open back headphones (AKG K601) are getting a bit old. I mostly listen to speakers or when using headphones closed back Bluetooth headphones nowadays, but really enjoy the occasional open back headphone session. There’s something special about that. So I am looking to replace the AKG’s and was considering the 660s. Or the Quad ERA-1. Or.... You get the point. And some people say photography leads to GAS....
Yes, I can only muster up Sennheiser 590's, just as well I didn't opt for an indoor pic today, I might have used them.

Barrie
Yep, this is really good stuff! :)

I was a Sennheiser guy for a very long time, but then stopped using wired open over-ears after the HD 560 Ovation II (CORRECTED!) - that's was a looong time ago already. I still have that headset - it's got its own merits when used with suitably supportive hardware.

Now, my favourite wired set is the very same Bowers & Wilkins PX5 @marlof posted an image of - and the old Sennheiser HD 25-1 (still available new today!), another legendary headset I also use (well, mostly used) as a monitor for recordings. But the PX5 is clearly more musical ...

I've tried various in-ears, but can't seem to get to grips with them (anatomy, most probably - and a reluctance to pay a lot more), so I'm mostly back to listening with on-ear or over-ear sets, mostly closed ones now (the world is a noisy place nowadays - or was, until a couple of weeks ago ...).

Since it's raining today, if I don't find anything (or can't shoot) on my walk this afternoon, I may add an image of my latest find in this field ... no longer wired ...

A little trivia: I used to sell audio and video hardware when I was a student to earn my living - it was a dangerous business to be in though: Having access to the lastest and greatest stuff at all times ate a considerable portion of my wages ...

M.

Last edited:

If your purse is as strong as your GAS, go for the HD 800S (weighs only 330g). The silkiness and long-time joy with all different kinds of music is undescribable. And no, I don't get a lousy dime for this promotion. But I've been a fan of these Sennheisers since I bought the first one from a vacation job as a student (see attachments of my first and second).

With my iPod I've been using the in-ear IE-8 since it came on the market an never regretted it. Tight fit, excellent sound for classic, pop and acoustic ... just the right thing for listening to some good music in bed before going to sleep.

Attachments

• HD_414.jpg
    HD_414.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 264
  • HD424.jpg
    HD424.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 261
  • hd-800-s.jpg
    hd-800-s.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
If your purse is as strong as your GAS, go for the HD 800S. The silkiness and long-time joy with all different kinds of music is undescribable. And no, I don't get a lousy dime for this promotion. But I've been a fan of these Sennheisers since I bought the first one drom a vacation job as a student (see attachments of my first and second).

With my iPod I've been using the in-ear IE-8 since it came on the market an never regretted it. Tight fit, excellent sound for classic, pop and acoustic ... just the right thing for listening to some good music in bed before going to sleep.

The HD 800S are to be found in my search history. I'm still deciding on how much money to spend on an item I am not using very often, but do enjoy tremendously when I use it.

I still have some very nice IEMs (Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10) from way back when, but don't use them anymore since my mobile use has become casual. I have a tiny DAB+ radio (Day 15) that lives in my briefcase, so I can listen to the radio wherever I am. I no longer use an iPod (Day 24), but just the AirPods Pro (Day 22) connected to the iPhone (my own music matched or uploaded in AAC) nowadays for convenience. Or the wired Beyerdynamic Soul Byrds (Day 25), sometimes with an Audioquest headphone amp (Day 16). At night I listen to FLACs (own or Qobuz streaming) on my Sony Walkman DAP (Day 11) through the B&W PX bluetooth headphones (Day 18), which are not very detailed, but very pleasing. The P5's (Day 28) live in the living room, mostly for viewing concert (Days 07 and 19) footage on my iPad. At my desk (Day 05) I listen using Audirvana (Day 12), an iFi hip-dac dac/headphone amp (Day 04) and the AKG open back headphones (Day 08), but only if I can't use my speaker setup (B&W 685's (Day 03) connected to an old Marantz stereo (Day 06)). When the house is clear of people I fire up the Hegel H90 (Day 21) and the KEF R500s (Day 23). I only play vinyl (Day 17) for family fun, in the living room on the old Dual CS 505-4 (Day 26) connect via a NAD phone amp and a Sonos Connect (Day 14) to my TV and Beolab 14 speakers (Day 13). My CDs (Days 01, 02 and 09) are mostly used as hardcopy backups of my FLAC files, and for booklet reference. I wish I could learn to play an instrument (Days 20 and 27) better, but I have never achieved much more than beginners level. Which is better than I am now...

Two more days left. :)

Last edited:
Back