Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 28

Day 28. I took some quick shots of cups with prayer beads in them to start the day. I thought that would be it for today's image - at least I had something :)
Then I got a chance to go outside for a walk. Along the way I found a bit of a mirror on the ground, and I noticed the sky reflected therein; so I felt good for at least having noticed something lovely today. Thanks for this thread.

28-4280029.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Reached a new low today and decided to picture my book case here. You'll see a PREICA camera there, originally a Praktica B200 but aptly renamed and re-engineered by my late father to accommodate a Leica Summicron-R 2/50. Even the automatic diaphragm works!

View attachment 220973
What a terrific photography bookshelf! I'm lusting after a lot of those now, and I want you to write up mini reviews of pretty much all of the ones that I don't own now! Hahah. Actually, come to think of it, a mini-review thread for photography books is a good idea... do we have one?

My own that I'm happiest about owning that I do not see in this collection (just in case you want some more good ones) are: Road to Seeing, by Dan Winters, Modern Color, by Fred Herzog, and Early Color by Saul Leiter. You have a much larger and more impressive collection!

What a terrific photography bookshelf! I'm lusting after a lot of those now, and I want you to write up mini reviews of pretty much all of the ones that I don't own now! Hahah. Actually, come to think of it, a mini-review thread for photography books is a good idea... do we have one?

My own that I'm happiest about owning that I do not see in this collection (just in case you want some more good ones) are: Road to Seeing, by Dan Winters, Modern Color, by Fred Herzog, and Early Color by Saul Leiter. You have a much larger and more impressive collection!
A photography book review thread would be nice indeed. I just saw a video with Ted Forbes and Chris Niccolls where Chris appeared to be a fan of Fred Herzog's work. Definitely will be going after a book of his. Never heard of Dan Winters, will check him out. Saul Leiter, one of the greats. I have seen the book you mention but decided that I don't really need that book. Thanks for the tips, as soon as my local bookstore opens, I'll be able to browse through photobooks again. Not to mention to go other places for street photography and visiting bookstores; in that order, otherwise I'll be carrying photobooks while trying to photograph :).

Well, Early Color *is* standing next to the Early Black and White duo on your bookshelft....
Mixed up titles :redface:. I don't remember now what Saul Leiter book I decided not to buy. Even if it might not look that way, I'm fairly selective, I really must have the idea that it will inspire me or add to my perspective on photography. The ultimate decisive factor is the answer to the question: "How much will I regret later not buying this book, knowing that there's a good chance I'll never come across it again?"

Mixed up titles :redface:. I don't remember now what Saul Leiter book I decided not to buy. Even if it might not look that way, I'm fairly selective, I really must have the idea that it will inspire me or add to my perspective on photography. The ultimate decisive factor is the answer to the question: "How much will I regret later not buying this book, knowing that there's a good chance I'll never come across it again?"
I looked what I thought was carefully for Early Color, but obviously not well enough.

Dan Winters isn't the same category of groundbreaking photographer, he is a modern portrait and celebrity photographer, and if that sounds boring to you it does to me too, but Winters transcends the kind of work he usually does. He's known for building elaborate backgrounds by hand and showing more genuine and interesting sides of people you've seen in the news or on red carpets. Road to Seeing, what's more, goes over his past work and his development as a photographer, it's just a very insightful and genuine book with a lot of good life lessons that goes beyond mere photographic interest. I really recommend it. Plus it's a big and beautiful book.

Back