Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - day 3

Such a cool - and mysterious - image, Karen. I keep looking at it and, yes, the rational part of my brain knows that this is not a real snake but rather an ingenious carved wood facsimile thereof, no more 'alive' than the piece of wood that she/he/it is gliding across... But, at the same time, I keep expecting the serpent to wink at me with that large, glassy eye which, in the wink of an eye, will lower its disguise and transform into the real thing ;)

I love this photograph.

Shelter in place: day number 24,738
T2B15602-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I keep looking at your photos and thinking something along the lines of: damn, the 800E really renders colors with a subtle richness. And then along comes this photo...and I have to change the script: damn, the 800E really renders all images with a subtle richness. Or maybe it's just the photographer's eye :) but, whatever....I like this image alot.
Thanks Miguel. The D800E for me is basically the front end body for the 50 years worth of Nikkors I'm slowly making my way through. It's not trendy and can be had for relative peanuts. But it's guaranteed to deliver, these cameras just go on and on, they don't break and as you say, that sensor - well, it continues to be good. But with the images, I like to think it's the $40 50mm F1.8 D doing that! I expected faults with the lens but I'm just not seeing them atm and shooting all over the F1.8 to F22 range is a pleasure.

Today's is really phoned in... I had a very busy day and several responsibilities once I got home... so in the last light, I took this literally right out the front door. On the other hand, this passion vine has become a staple for testing cameras and lenses, being so conveniently placed, right out the front door.

P1000166.JPG

This is today's best one. But usually I'm not that bad a photographer! Really!

View attachment 217222

(repost, now in the Day 3 thread)

Ad, I have to respectfully disagree with you: this is not the work of a 'bad photographer' --- au contraire, I find this photograph to be compellingly cool. The textures, the tones, the contrasts between those white whites and those very dark darks, the range - the composition - and just the view it offers us --- all of these add up to a very good photograph, in my book - which (obviously to me at least) is the work of a good photographer.

The short version: I like it. A lot.

this Reminds me of my first lesson in Latin.

Marcus et Cornelia in horto ambulant. Cornelia subito serpentem videt et clamat: "Marce! Marce!" Marcus rogat: "Quid est, Cornelia? Cur clamas?" Puella clamat: "Serpentem video!" Marcus rogat: "Ubi serpentem vides?" Cornelia serpentem indicat. Tum puer et puella clamant: "Pater! Pater! Serpentem in horto videmus!" Pater Marcum et Corneliam audit et cito in hortum venit. Rogat: "Ubi serpentem videtis, Marce et Cornelia?" Sed puer et puella serpentem non iam vident; serpens iam procul est.
54 years ago I had my first lesson in Latin. I'm amazed that I could translate this little story without even having to look up one word. Amazing piece of gear, the human mind :).

this Reminds me of my first lesson in Latin.

Marcus et Cornelia in horto ambulant. Cornelia subito serpentem videt et clamat: "Marce! Marce!" Marcus rogat: "Quid est, Cornelia? Cur clamas?" Puella clamat: "Serpentem video!" Marcus rogat: "Ubi serpentem vides?" Cornelia serpentem indicat. Tum puer et puella clamant: "Pater! Pater! Serpentem in horto videmus!" Pater Marcum et Corneliam audit et cito in hortum venit. Rogat: "Ubi serpentem videtis, Marce et Cornelia?" Sed puer et puella serpentem non iam vident; serpens iam procul est.
Jeez, I could still understand that. Now 42 years since I learned my last Latin. Some things stick. I’m not sure I could cope with Cicero again, though!

I'm shocked at how many of you had Latin in school. In my generation forward in the US, Latin is about as common as Swahili.

Which isn't to say that I'm not kind of jealous of those who studied it in school, and I have several books for the learning of Latin in my library. One day.

I'm shocked at how many of you had Latin in school. In my generation forward in the US, Latin is about as common as Swahili.

Which isn't to say that I'm not kind of jealous of those who studied it in school, and I have several books for the learning of Latin in my library. One day.
That's only because we're, well ... not getting any younger ...

Seriously, there was only one option to avoid Latin at my Swiss highschool (and none in Germany where I first had Latin lessons), and that would have involved more Maths - so it was kind of a given (even though I never hated Maths, I was clearly more into languages).

M.

L1003279-Edit.jpg

Simply garlic ...... in some interesting light. The light was coming through the wicker chairs in the kitchen making an interesting pattern. I switched to the 50mm Summilux here because I think it focuses just a tiny bit closer than the Zeiss. I spent quite a lot of time doing this, squinting through the rangefinder in the sun!

Back