The April 2020 Challenge - outtakes and alternatives

Dec 31, 2013
Louisville, Ky
Got out a light with some different modifiers and shot a bunch of stuff yesterday. How many people can say they were trying to find the best modifier for chickens?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Aug 27, 2013
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Day 5 Outtakes: parking lot near railroad tracks

A cold, wet, rainy and generally blusterous day. I braved the elements and went for a short walk.
It was just starting to rain when I saw this corrugated metal culvert, beneath the local railroad tracks - but no water was coming out of it yet---

Nearby, an electric power meter had an intriguingly mysterious message on its faceplate: 'CLOSEd'---

And in the parking lot of the adjacent factory, the taillights of a truck seemed to be staring at me like adjacent twin Cyclops--

My Pen F isn't weather-sealed but it seems to have survived the precipitation with no problems, knock on wood, or should I say, knock on magnesium.

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Aug 27, 2013
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Miguel Tejada-Flores

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Jan 27, 2012
Los Angeles
John
Day 5 Outtakes: parking lot near railroad tracks

A cold, wet, rainy and generally blusterous day. I braved the elements and went for a short walk.
It was just starting to rain when I saw this corrugated metal culvert, beneath the local railroad tracks - but no water was coming out of it yet---

View attachment 217640

Nearby, an electric power meter had an intriguingly mysterious message on its faceplate: 'CLOSEd'---

View attachment 217641

And in the parking lot of the adjacent factory, the taillights of a truck seemed to be staring at me like adjacent twin Cyclops--

View attachment 217642

My Pen F isn't weather-sealed but it seems to have survived the precipitation with no problems, knock on wood, or should I say, knock on magnesium.
Very nice Miguel.
I was just enjoying Andrew's images and processing.
Yours has a really nice rich, velvety feel as well.

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Jan 27, 2012
Los Angeles
John

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
I rejected this picture but when coming back to it, it reflects windy and murky feelings I had that day. What say you?

View attachment 217693
I think it's a strong image - however, the way the bright areas frame the dark ones, this one conveys more determination and hope than moodiness to me. I think it's a case of conflicting signals - but thanks for sharing because it's certainly worth seeing :2thumbs:

M.

P.S. May I also say that you two (if I can remember who the second guy is - it's a guy, I know that ...) have provided a strong incentive to put the 35mm f/2 on the D750 and head out ...

rflove

Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
Day 1 Outtake: 'Until Further Notice'

But actually the whole image - which couldn't help reminding me of the bullet-proof plexiglass shields many banks installed in front of tellers after a spate of hundreds (or was it thousands?) of bank robberies in the United States, during the 80's - had, for me, a strange, somewhat grim feeling - like I was in a futuristic sci-fi thriller about the social mechanisms future generations, like Jean-Luc Godard's 'Alphaville'.

Perhaps not the best photograph I've taken, but for me a good document of the times we are living in - and, hopefully, through.
Actually the shot is quite good in my estimation. And yes, it reminds me of the bulletproof plexiglass shields in the banks and I remember the epidemic of bank robberies which proceeded them.

I haven't watched Jean-Luc Godard's 'Alphaville', perhaps I should. We're definitely living in "interesting times" (leave it to the Chinese to come up with appropriate terminology). I suspect things will not be the same after this in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom