Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - outtakes and alternatives

Physical distancing at work ...

GR000329.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(I don't even know if you can spot the second guy ...)

M.

I had a very productive drive this afternoon. Here's a couple that I liked but didn't choose for the Day 3 thread.

DSC_1112.jpg

DSC_1118.jpg

DSC_1122.jpg

DSC_1127.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1121.JPG
    DSC_1121.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_1126.JPG
    DSC_1126.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_1127.JPG
    DSC_1127.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 51
Day 3: Outtakes...at the Supermarket

A whole series of photos from my morning trip (wearing my own face mask and gloves, like most of the others present) to the local Supermarket. Shopping is definitely different in these new days dominated by social distancing, isolation, and an almost ever-present sense of caution which at times spills over into protective paranoia, that the person moving down the same aisle as you are, at the supermarket, might be the one who will sneeze on - and infect - you.

First: everyone standing in line, at the newly marked-on-the-floor indicator spots - so as to keep 6 feet (approx 2 meters) away from the person in front of you.

PenF_Day3_ShopNKart_In_line.jpg

Second: there are parallel lines, like parallel airport runways, leading to the cash registers active today (only half the 'normal' amount, so as to preserve distance between shoppers. Everywhere one turns - you see another figure with their face half hidden.

PenF_Day3_ShopNKart_Four&Twenty.jpg

Third: approaching the cash register, aka the front of the line, one can't help notice the many 'positive' messages in evidence.

PenF_Day3_ShopNKart_World_Peace.jpg

Fourth: there is a degree of discomfort, many people choose to look straight ahead and not to turn, or look at the person or persons who might be standing closer to you. There is a comfort in anonymity.

PenF_Day3_ShopNKart_World_Peace2.jpg

Fifth: almost at the front of the line, almost at the cash register. It seems incongruous to see a massive display of a 'natural' medicinal product for 'respiratory support' while everyone around you, and yourself included, is wearing a face mask.

PenF_Day3_ShopNKart_Respiratory_Support.jpg

Sixth: at the front of the line, finally, reaching the cash register, where my new Checker (they work on staggered shifts) is adjusting her very cool and surprisingly stylish face mask which, she informs me, was made by a co-worker.

PenF_Day3_ShopNKart_Checker.jpg

And that's all, Folks - as those childhood cartoons I used to watch, lifetimes ago, always seemed to end, with cheery, bouncy theme music and then a title effect where the entire image telescoped into a tiny circle and - POOF! - disappeared.

I know it's a cliché at this point, but just going shopping makes me realize, again, that there are no 'givens' in these unpredictable and, for many, outright challenging and dangerous times - so stay safe, everyone.

A whole series of photos from my morning trip (wearing my own face mask and gloves, like most of the others present) to the local Supermarket. Shopping is definitely different in these new days dominated by social distancing, isolation, and an almost ever-present sense of caution which at times spills over into protective paranoia, that the person moving down the same aisle as you are, at the supermarket, might be the one who will sneeze on - and infect - you.

First: everyone standing in line, at the newly marked-on-the-floor indicator spots - so as to keep 6 feet (approx 2 meters) away from the person in front of you.

View attachment 217273

Second: there are parallel lines, like parallel airport runways, leading to the cash registers active today (only half the 'normal' amount, so as to preserve distance between shoppers. Everywhere one turns - you see another figure with their face half hidden.

View attachment 217274

Third: approaching the cash register, aka the front of the line, one can't help notice the many 'positive' messages in evidence.

View attachment 217275

Fourth: there is a degree of discomfort, many people choose to look straight ahead and not to turn, or look at the person or persons who might be standing closer to you. There is a comfort in anonymity.

View attachment 217276

Fifth: almost at the front of the line, almost at the cash register. It seems incongruous to see a massive display of a 'natural' medicinal product for 'respiratory support' while everyone around you, and yourself included, is wearing a face mask.

View attachment 217277

Sixth: at the front of the line, finally, reaching the cash register, where my new Checker (they work on staggered shifts) is adjusting her very cool and surprisingly stylish face mask which, she informs me, was made by a co-worker.

View attachment 217278

And that's all, Folks - as those childhood cartoons I used to watch, lifetimes ago, always seemed to end, with cheery, bouncy theme music and then a title effect where the entire image telescoped into a tiny circle and - POOF! - disappeared.

I know it's a cliché at this point, but just going shopping makes me realize, again, that there are no 'givens' in these unpredictable and, for many, outright challenging and dangerous times - so stay safe, everyone.
Great summary. I think we're slowly getting accustomed and used to it. One thing though - lets all show some appreciation for the check out people. They have been under tremedous stress here in Australia, regrettably from the public, mad that they can't buy more than 2 packs of toilet roll. Bordering on mental abuse. They do appreciate it when you acknowledge that and ask them how it's going (in fact the lady serving me yesterday gave me an extra salad free as a result).

Last edited:

View attachment 217273

View attachment 217274

View attachment 217275

View attachment 217276

View attachment 217277

View attachment 217278

Great images and reality check series. I have been avoiding the store myself, but I picture your images replicated in many communities. Thanks for sharing these.

Back