Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - outtakes and alternatives

Day 11 Outtakes: Old Cabin in the garden

Took photos today inside an ancient (19th century) cabin that sits on our rural property, it is defying the laws of gravity and still upright, somehow. With the bright Spring light angling in via the front doorway - and the combination of 150-year-old wallpaper peeling from ancient wood walls, and a bit more light filtering through roof cracks - it seemed long overdue for a few photos.

Here, next to the open front door, another doorway looks into a darkened room--

View attachment 218495

The 19th century wallpaper must have been made to higher standards, to last this long--

View attachment 218497

Stepping through the doorway you can see the afternoon light coming through the roof (which is badly in need of some rudimentary repairs, to keep the cabin standing for another year or three)--

View attachment 218498

The well-used wheelbarrow, leaning against a wall outside, does not date back to the 19th Century...it's a relative newcomer--

View attachment 218499
Great shots, but a here's a piece of advice: There may well be a reason for green 19th century wallpaper to survive well - it may kill everything trying to consume it. It's quite probable that it contains high concentrations of arsenic because arsenic oxide was used as a dye - one of the household killers in the late 19th century. I'd not spend more time in those rooms than absolutely necessary (once won't hurt - arsenic in the air needs time to accumulate before causing serious poisining).

M.

Day 11 Outtakes: Old Cabin in the garden

Took photos today inside an ancient (19th century) cabin that sits on our rural property, it is defying the laws of gravity and still upright, somehow. With the bright Spring light angling in via the front doorway - and the combination of 150-year-old wallpaper peeling from ancient wood walls, and a bit more light filtering through roof cracks - it seemed long overdue for a few photos.

Here, next to the open front door, another doorway looks into a darkened room--

View attachment 218495

The 19th century wallpaper must have been made to higher standards, to last this long--

View attachment 218497

Stepping through the doorway you can see the afternoon light coming through the roof (which is badly in need of some rudimentary repairs, to keep the cabin standing for another year or three)--

View attachment 218498

The well-used wheelbarrow, leaning against a wall outside, does not date back to the 19th Century...it's a relative newcomer--

View attachment 218499
Nice. #1 is special, it's my favorite.

There was no view of the tractor in my day 12 shot, so here's a close up with Graham climbing into his John Deere machine.

200412-1080734.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Climbing aboard

Barrie

Day 12 Outtakes: sunny day monochromes

The first three here were alternates to my official entry for Day 12, of my cat Horace, taking his Easter dirt bath in the garden. At times, he seems rather relaxed--

PenF_Day12_Easter_Cat#4 (KodakchrMem).jpg

But then he gets surprised by the dizzying way the world around him can change perspective in a heartbeat--

PenF_Day12_Easter_Cat#2 (KodakchrMem).jpg

However, a moment later, everything seems peachy once more--

PenF_Day12_Easter_Cat#1 (KodakchrMem).jpg

Later, I went for a stroll up the hill. The local agricultural irrigation ditch is running dry in early April, due doubtless to the persistence of the semi-drought conditions which have plagued southern Oregon and northern California for some years now. But not being a farmer, I rather like the way the dried-out, cracked earth looks....or maybe it's just the way those trees are casting their shadows about today--

PenF_Day12_Easter_TID (KodakchrMem).jpg

I keep a bottle of EOX organic grain alcohol on my workbench for cleaning and shellac mixing. The price of one quart on Amazon has literally doubled since the COVID-19 crisis began.
Isopropyl alcohol should also work for cleaning. I’m not sure how well it would work as a solvent to thin the shellac. I know you can still get grain alcohol at the ABC stores in VA.

Back