Daily Challenge The April 2020 Challenge - outtakes and alternatives

A few others I took while I was out today. Wildly different.
MBond_200428_0109.jpg
MBond_200428_0113.jpg
MBond_200428_0173.jpg

Day 28 outtakes...
The boring (and poorly done) product shots of cups from this morning when I thought I would have to spend yet another day indoors (in protective custody).
28-4280039.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

28-4280044.jpg

And as I walked over a small bridge, I got to see life returning to 'normal' in the U.S. - sad, but true. This pperson was sorting through their stuff, drying in the sunlight.
28-4280028.jpg

The dramatic light made for a few outtakes I enjoyed tonight.

P1000768.JPG

P1000770.JPG

P1000781.JPG

And though I'm sworn to B&W this month, I'm going to post a couple color versions as my own slight heresy. Apologies for the long post.

P1000769.JPG

P1000771.JPG

P1000774.JPG

P1000765 (2).JPG

A Reading from the Book of Birdhouses:

First, there was the tell-tail sign:
snake3.jpg

And Lo, the serpent did reveal itself:

snake7.jpg

He showed disdain for my lack of macro or even telephoto capabilities:

snake2.jpg

And proceeded to approach the abandoned house:

snake4.jpg
snake5.jpg

And now it gets really Biblical:

snake6.jpg

snake8.jpg

In the end, the serpent claimed his new home but promised to stay out of the fruit trees:

snake9.jpg

As Milton almost said, "It is better to rule in the birdhouse that serve on the patio".

Last edited:
I did like the second cup
Thank you. But I was lazy and did not get the light differential dialed in, so I lost the edges I was trying to retain. I could have added another light to keep the edge, but, "Ah well, not being paid, why work so hard?" That has been my recent challenge. But thank you for the encouragement, I'll try to be more faithful to the vision next time.

Last edited:
L1004173-Edit.jpg

L1004169-Edit-2.jpg

After the rain. I hopped out this morning thinking I could get a couple of soggy pictures before the next band of rain. A wander around the garden only produced variations on a theme! Although the rain came down at lunchtime, we took Little B to the woods anyway. I couldn't be bothered to try and get the camera under my coat so left it at home. Later on I got a few of Little B lying comatose in the sunshine on a bed upstairs.

I realize that I should explain why I have a huge birdhouse that looks like a church. A retired gentleman made a suggestion box for our church. It was too big for the space, so he made a smaller one and converted the old one into a birdhouse. It became one of the prizes in a raffle, and we were the lucky ticket holders. We did wonder why we hadn’t seen any birds for the last few years. I think we have our answer.

View attachment 221152

View attachment 221153

After the rain. I hopped out this morning thinking I could get a couple of soggy pictures before the next band of rain. A wander around the garden only produced variations on a theme! Although the rain came down at lunchtime, we took Little B to the woods anyway. I couldn't be bothered to try and get the camera under my coat so left it at home. Later on I got a few of Little B lying comatose in the sunshine on a bed upstairs.

I love the photograph of the snail.
And, I know I'm repeating myself, but...those colors. Is is the lens? the camera? or just where you happened to be? or...all of the above, with a smidgen of special pixie dust from the photography gods & goddesses?

I can't help thinking, though....that it would be fun to see some of the outtakes of Little B lying comatose in the sunshine. Something tells me that it is a pursuit at which Little B might possibly excel, from time to time ;)

Day 29 Outakes-Alternative: trash (garbage) pick-up day in southern Oregon

In my main post for today, I put the first of a few photos I took this morning - of several bottles of good beer, placed on top of my large garbage can (aka rubbish bin), sitting out on the street, awaiting the morning drive-by of the garbage persons' (aka sanitation workers) weekly trash pick-up. My way of trying to say thank you to people who not only don't get time off and don't have the 'luxury' of 'sheltering at home' but who must keep working 40 hour weeks doing sometimes exhausting and often dirty jobs (which keep the hidden gears of our societies running smoothly).

My timing was good, I didn't have long to wait before the garbage truck came by. Today with a skeleton crew of just one - a combination driver-slash-trashcan-emptier. He was surprised when I came out into the street to greet him and to try to express, in my own fumbling way, my thank-you's. And the offer of beers was a good one. But he couldn't talk long because he was on a tight work schedule so we exchanged grins and then he got back into the garbage truck---

PenF_Day29_Garbage_Pickup_driver.jpg

And drove off to the next (of hundreds and thousands, I imagine) of his many stops around and through the small city. I watched him go---

PenF_Day29_Garbage_Truck.jpg

And that was that. Except later, this same morning, a good friend from Spain - who is both a fine photographer and a thoughtful health-care practitioner who in her own world and life must go out on the front lines every day, told me that "unidos lo vamos a superar" - together we will be able to get through this. I hope she is right.

Back