News The Beginning of the End for Jpegs?

Who doesn't love new formats being forced upon them?

Apple users should consider this line ......

"but if users need to move HEIF content outside of that ecosystem, it's worth looking into transcoding options (JPEG, for example) to provide the best backwards compatibility for other users."

'Sounds very interesting. However, acknowledging how many times "iPhone" was written in the article makes me think it will be a somewhat proprietary "thing" with Apple for at least a while. When I see what an HEIF image looks like shot with a Fuji or an Olympus or a whatever other than a cell phone I suspect my interest will be sucnificantly peaked.
Steve, thanks for the link.
. . . David

I thought High Sierra was excellent. Bogart played against type and opened up a whole new career direction for himself and Ida Lupino was scorching. People tend to overlook it because of course The Maltese Falcon came out the same year and really captured the attention of critics and public alike.

Oh for the return of sparse, taut, well-plotted film noir.

A search for HEIF turned up this thread, and only this thread.

More of the processing programs are supporting it, MS photos will view it, is anyone actually using it? 10 instead of 8 with a smaller file size is interesting, but if you shoot RAW as well, does it even matter?

I must say that I use my Fuji's OOC jpegs for everything short of printing, in >90% of the shots. If HEIF were to replace that with higher quality, smaller size files, I would be fine with that.

Given the 30 year legacy of jpeg files, even if all devices started capturing only HEIF tomorrow, jpegs would still need to be supported by browsers at least for pretty much eternity. Editing software would have no reason not to support jpeg either, so our jpeg only files will undoubtedly be safe for decades to come.

AFAIK, 4 years after that article, it's still only Apple devices capturing HEIF files?

I must say that I use my Fuji's OOC jpegs for everything short of printing, in >90% of the shots. If HEIF were to replace that with higher quality, smaller size files, I would be fine with that.

Given the 30 year legacy of jpeg files, even if all devices started capturing only HEIF tomorrow, jpegs would still need to be supported by browsers at least for pretty much eternity. Editing software would have no reason not to support jpeg either, so our jpeg only files will undoubtedly be safe for decades to come.

AFAIK, 4 years after that article, it's still only Apple devices capturing HEIF files?
Sony and Canon support HEIF, which is what led me to ask the question. I can choose between jpeg and HEIF, including RAW with either. Never even heard of it before.

Looks like the new Nikon doesn't. I did some quick searches and couldn't find any others. I found some info from 2020 that implied HEIF was one of Fuji's top priorities.

Not only is it a smaller file, it sounds like some of the editing is non-destructive? :unsure:

As a side note, you can save in HEIF on MS but maybe not read it? I did a comparison shot and my work computer won't open the HEIF, but that may be due to the customizing our overzealous IT department does. I'll try at home.

Sony and Canon support HEIF, which is what led me to ask the question. I can choose between jpeg and HEIF, including RAW with either. Never even heard of it before.
Interesting, I completely missed that. But it bodes well for HEIF's future. Btw, the HEIF/HEIC dual acronym really ought to be resolved sometime soon.
Looks like the new Nikon doesn't. I did some quick searches and couldn't find any others. I found some info from 2020 that implied HEIF was one of Fuji's top priorities
The more the merrier, if it truly is a better file
As a side note, you can save in HEIF on MS but maybe not read it? I did a comparison shot and my work computer won't open the HEIF, but that may be due to the customizing our overzealous IT department does. I'll try at home.
Apparently you need to download a codec and then Windows devices can read HEIC files just fine.

Yeah, I saw the codec thing.

The thing is, until it becomes so common that you can view it with any system or program, you'd still need to export as a jpeg for others to view.

Eventually JPEG will die, just like MP3 pretty much has now.
If we get a new format that has better quality, takes up less space and is widely adopted, what's not to like?
The existing images will not magically convert to a new better format. JPEG will live on even if it stops being the preferred format for new image sharing. Regular graphics viewers will support JPEG for the rest of my lifetime & there will doubtless be JPEG viewers available throughout my childrens lifetimes too.
FWIW I have many GB of MP3 files & still listen to some of them very regularly.

Back