13349534615_abc6690954_b.jpg

The Birthday Boy..... by christilou1, on Flickr

13349534245_0c32c41ddf_b.jpg

L1004297-Edit by christilou1, on Flickr

13349677253_7a478f6e40_b.jpg

L1004285-Edit by christilou1, on Flickr

13349533705_94a1c63484_b.jpg

L1004302-Edit by christilou1, on Flickr

A few from yesterday's birthday celebration of our good friend John who was 60....... and they say accountants are dull ;)

I got quite good results using the above combination, iso didn't get too high and most of them were around 30s. Not happy with the wb colour once again. I'd set it for Auto WB, I have read about using the wb card but forgot all about it and in any case probably not able to do it in company! Anyone have any ideas about getting the balance reasonable? I tried Auto in LR5, not good.... also using the dropper but still not good :( John is a typically English ruddy colour but decreasing red to suit him makes everyone else ashen or green.

Happy 60th! 3 more years until I hit that one...

Color balance- my opinion, Leica is still working out firmware on the M240. I would expect improvements.

A few from yesterday's birthday celebration of our good friend John who was 60....... and they say accountants are dull ;)

I got quite good results using the above combination, iso didn't get too high and most of them were around 30s. Not happy with the wb colour once again. I'd set it for Auto WB, I have read about using the wb card but forgot all about it and in any case probably not able to do it in company! Anyone have any ideas about getting the balance reasonable? I tried Auto in LR5, not good.... also using the dropper but still not good :( John is a typically English ruddy colour but decreasing red to suit him makes everyone else ashen or green.

Looks like a good time Christilou! I can't decide if it's better with or without pith helmet :p

I often find WB to be difficult in low light, regardless of camera. I've taken to carrying a small WhiBal card I do use sometimes - you don't have to have somebody hold it or anything (that makes me feel really self conscious haha). I'll just put it on the table or wherever the light is hitting, and take a quick snap. Even if you don't use it to calibrate the camera, you can use it later in LightRoom to take a WB reading and sync the settings to the whole set.

Failing that, a white shirt, tablecloth, napkin etc. will often help to get exposure and WB in the ballpark. I find the two seem to interact and if exposure isn't spot on in low light it makes WB very hard to get right. If you spot meter on white and adjust exposure to about +1.3 or 1.7 stops for most cameras you get pretty close in exposure and I find that makes WB easier to set successfully later.

In terms of rescuing off WB in post, I usually use the dropper in LR as you mentioned. If that doesn't work it's down to manually adjusting sliders :D If you find one person or area looks off, the adjustment brush with localized WB sometimes works; I've used that on a few weird lighting situations to rescue a photo with two different temperatures.

Thanks Jay, that's really helpful. I've managed to get the colour halfway reasonable using the dropper on the tablecloth and also a shirt, not great but not too bad. I'm going to have to get a WhiBal card I think :)

White coffee filters (Melitta?) work great in a pinch. Wrap one over the front of the lens, stand at your subject's position facing back where the camera will be and snap.

Back