The camera I would like...

wt21

Hall of Famer
I just listed the last of my m43 gear (and already sold most of it). Nothing wrong with m43. Think I just got a little bored with it.

What I REALLY want is a nice "normal" range set-up. Currently, that's a NEX5n + CV 40 1.4. But I do miss AF.

Still waiting for SOMEONE to come up with this camera:
Mirrorless
VF built in
Tilt LCD
Good shallow DOF possibilities (so, either a 50/1.8 or faster in FF or a 35/1.4 or faster in APS-C)
Good low light capability.
Reasonable AF
Preferably in the $1000 range
Compact

Basically, a Fuji X100 with a "normal" lens (in the 50-60mm range)

I thought about the GXR, but it feels like a dead end system to me.
I thought about a DP2 Merrill, but I understand they are weak in high ISO
The m43 PL25 is close, but not quite there for me
I might try the XE1 w/the 35/1.4, though I didn't like the Lens noise on the XPro1 when I rented it

I'm thinking of buying an X100 to try out 35mm for a while, or maybe just sit with my MF NEX and my 5D. <sigh>

50mm used to be so common, but even the Sony RX1 is at 35mm. 35 is the new 50 :)

I think the X-E1 is as close as you can come, but still no tilt LCD and the price is more like $1,600 with the body and 35mm that you remember as noisy (Which I don't, but it's been awhile).

The X100 also doesn't have the tilt screen and is the "wrong" focal length, but if you're buying used is well under your target price.

What about new Sony E 35mm 1.8? It has slower aperture but it has IS and is smaller then both Fuji 35mm & Panaleica 25mm. So it will be a smaller package with 5n, while it has the same dof with panaleica.

Fuji
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.56 x 2.16" (65 x 54.9 mm)
Weight 6.60 oz (187 g)

Panaleica
Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.48 x 2.15" (63 x 54.5 mm)
Weight 7.05 oz (200 g)

Sony
Diameter x Length 2.4 x 1.8" (62.2 x 45mm)
Weight 5.5 oz (155g)

Yeah, I'm going to possibly try that out, but it's just a ways off, and Sony's inability to get new stuff to market could push it even farther. But I am thinking on giving it a whirl.

I wish Sony would make 1.4 lenses for their system, instead of just considering 1.8 as fast.

Back