the Cemetery image thread....

dd30.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think the cemetery business might be in trouble with all the cremations now. All the grand mausoleums, grand headstones, and markers may be going away and with it, a little bit of history. Today, the day was cold, the sun bright and winter's mantle of brown sameness was everywhere so we grabbed our cameras and headed to one of our oldest sites for burial. I found some historical names on some markers, some plain ones with names of people I knew and of some who have helped shape our history. I found one of a Civil war Medal of Honor soldier which was in an area of stones honoring those who died defending the union in the civil war. The stones are laid out circular around a huge building. Finally, I found the grave site of a man I had known as a child and through high school. He was Major Samuel R. Bird who was severely wounded in Viet Nam with only a few days to go in his tour. He lived in pain and without sight in one eye, and very small sight in the other. His skull was blown apart and he had to have his head reshaped which gave him a damaged look. Before being wounded, he was in charge of the funeral detail for President John F. Kennedy. I admit, I felt anguish for the last part of his life which was taken from him by war. Very sad day and one that cried out for black and white.
DSCF7359.jpg
DSCF7344.jpg
DSCF7361.jpg
DSCF7363.jpg
DSCF7370.jpg
DSCF7356.jpg

Back