the Cemetery image thread....

Some from Spain.

DSC02240-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC02242-Edit.jpg

DSC02243-Edit.jpg

DSC02249-Edit.jpg

DSC02250-Edit-2.jpg

A7RII 50mm Summilux ASPH

Great stuff. Being buried (I mean, you know, when I'm dead) among hundereds or even thousands of others has never appealed to me. But in that environment..... It's your images that got me thinking like this.

I like visiting graveyards wherever we go, it's always interesting. There are some lovely and peaceful ones here in the UK and I like to just sit quietly sometimes to gather my own thoughts. Having had a run in with cancer myself almost 20 years ago it gave me pause for thought too. In Spain they tend to "bury" their loved ones inside the wall for the most part. I think I'd like to be interred somewhere like this too :)

I like visiting graveyards wherever we go, it's always interesting. There are some lovely and peaceful ones here in the UK and I like to just sit quietly sometimes to gather my own thoughts. Having had a run in with cancer myself almost 20 years ago it gave me pause for thought too. In Spain they tend to "bury" their loved ones inside the wall for the most part. I think I'd like to be interred somewhere like this too :)

I want to be buried in a green cemetery. Put me in a whicker basket and have a tree planted above my resting place. No service, just those who liked me enough to come see me off at the hole in the ground. No stone......just come by and see me whenever you fancy it.....no pressure.

I want to be buried in a green cemetery. Put me in a whicker basket and have a tree planted above my resting place. No service, just those who liked me enough to come see me off at the hole in the ground. No stone......just come by and see me whenever you fancy it.....no pressure.
The wife & I have a green resting place for our ashes already picked out, in some bluebell woods. Also no service planned. I don't see the point.

I've had this conversation many times with family. I'm convinced funeral services have been ingrained into our modern psyches as a way of making it about "our" grief. I'm trying to convince my wife, if I pass first, to cremate me and dump my ashes from a rock outcropping along one of my favorite hiking trails. My family always protests - loudly - that doing so would deprive them of their right to say goodbye. <sigh>

"American Way of Death" by Jessica Mitford is worth a read.

The Blurb - "Before the turn of the century, the American funeral was simple "to the point of starkness," says Jessica Mitford, the acclaimed muckraking journalist who published this investigation of the country's funeral business in 1963. That the country went on to develop a tendency for gross overspending on funerals Mitford puts down to the greed and ingenuity of undertakers, whom she regards as salesmen guilty of pressuring families into agreeing to their excessive standards for burial. Mitford, who died recently, delivers facts and criticism in a forthright and humorous manner. She would certainly appreciate that her assessment of the American way of death endures after her own passing"

I am quite seasoned in the business of insolvency. I know it's rather obvious but I'm still compelled to say this - not once in 30 years have I ever come across an undertaker or anyone else associated to that line of business (although I've never come across an insolvent fish and chip shop owner either).

Yes the undertakers are known to prey on the unprepared. Catching people with costly services at the worst of times.
Best to plan ahead since we all know it is coming, just not when, where and how.
I too have had a attraction to cemeteries and find them to be relaxing although at time a bit creepy.
But for me, cremation and scatter my ashes in the mountains.
DSCF0540.jpg

I am quite seasoned in the business of insolvency. I know it's rather obvious but I'm still compelled to say this - not once in 30 years have I ever come across an undertaker or anyone else associated to that line of business (although I've never come across an insolvent fish and chip shop owner either).

The old joke is that it is the one business where people are dying to get in.

Back