the Cemetery image thread....

View attachment 239309
"The right to use the grave site has expired."
Very German, this notice. You hire your last abode like a flat. When time is over, the grave is rented to somebody else and their bones thrown on top of you. Eternal unrest if your soul hasn't quit the place.
Same here ... That's why I contemplated having my ashes used as fertiliser for the roses in the graveyard - but they actually put a stop to that practice for environmental reasons (yes, human remains are considered potentially toxic enough not to be left on the surface unprotected ... must be all these heavy metals we ingest willingly ...).

M.

Same here ... That's why I contemplated having my ashes used as fertiliser for the roses in the graveyard - but they actually put a stop to that practice for environmental reasons (yes, human remains are considered potentially toxic enough not to be left on the surface unprotected ... must be all these heavy metals we ingest willingly ...).

M.
Yes, Matt, it looks as if our remains fall under the category of special (hazardous) waste.

PA174323.3.jpg

The Harrow Bone Yard, placed convincingly beside the Anglican Church steps, is actually a permanently installed prop for a dinner theatre show. I took these on Halloween, as they were the only appropriately-themed thing I could find.
01245294-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
01245304-01.jpeg
01245302-01.jpeg
01245300-01.jpeg
01245295-01.jpeg
01245296-01.jpeg
01245303-01.jpeg
01245297-01.jpeg
01245307-01.jpeg
01245298-01.jpeg

M.
Also similar here. The graveyards have a limited life. I am considering being injected into a tree. It is an option in the forest south of Perth. The other option is being buried in the forest and a tree planted on top.

Also similar here. The graveyards have a limited life. I am considering being injected into a tree. It is an option in the forest south of Perth. The other option is being buried in the forest and a tree planted on top.
Before imposing my ashes on a tree, Tony, I'd have them buried beneath or next to a tree in one of the "new" burial grounds that are called "Friedwald" (fenced-in or enclosed forest) instead of "Friedhof" (enclosed yard) that are the new option in many towns and villages here now.

Last edited:
Before imposing my ashes on a tree, Tony, I'd have them buried beneath or next to a tree in one of the "new" burial grounds that are called "Friedwald" (fenced-in or enclosed forest) instead of "Friedhof" (enclosed yard) that are the new option in many towns and villages here now.
As an inhabitant of the town of Bremen my descendants are allowed to keep my ashes on the shelf(or cellar) for two years. I am looking forward with great expectations to get rattled and shaken at least once a day, otherwise they will get disinherited posthumously. After this period they are at liberty to disperse my ashes in the garden. - This outlook will please me for the rest of my days.

Interesting discussion. I really don't know what our government laws are about disposition of human remains, but I keep trying to talk my wife into having me cremated and dump my ashes off a high rock into a nearby canyon if I go first. Can't seem to convince her she would save a boatload of $$$ on funeral and burial costs.

Interesting discussion. I really don't know what our government laws are about disposition of human remains, but I keep trying to talk my wife into having me cremated and dump my ashes off a high rock into a nearby canyon if I go first. Can't seem to convince her she would save a boatload of $$$ on funeral and burial costs.
The Swabians are known as an industrious, thrifty and inventive people. The Swabian variant to this question which alternative to choose is accordingly. There is a nice quote of a wife who said: „I’ll not have him put in a grave. I’ll have him burnt and the ashes put in the egg timer: he shall toil forever."

Back