The Cottages in Chrome

Covey22

Hall of Famer
CCOD-MAR-2017046-RFC.jpg

CCOD-MAR-2017044-RFC.jpg

CCOD-MAR-2017048-RFC.jpg

Thanks. They're the "Days' Cottages" in Truro MA, facing the inner Cape Cod bay. Very famous clapboard designs. The original owner, Joseph Days was a bit of an accidental visionary. At the time, the property he bought was literally a strip of sand probably several hundred feet wide; a salt marsh behind him and the inner bay in front. He originally did it to move his house from nearby Provincetown which was getting too crowded for him, but then the Depression hit.

He also had a construction company in his business portfolio and noticed a lot of folks flanking his property were starting to build small bungalows even with the Depression in full swing. In order to keep his workers from being idled, he bought the materials to build the cottages on the property, but the catch was they'd have to take a pay cut to work on them. Naturally they jumped at the chance - he essentially became his own customer. At it's peak he'd have somewhere around 25-30 of them up and down the coastline.

Each one has it's own bath, full kitchen two bedrooms and small living room with fireplace. Nice setup.

But as fate would have it, State Route 6 (Scenic) would eventually bisect that property, making it some of the most valuable sand in the area for it's access to a narrow beach with an amazing unobstructed view. The part near the Salt Marsh would become a convenience store, storage, parking and Rental Office for the seasonal visitors who would flock in from NY and Boston. The rest as they say is history.

Thanks very much for your detailed response. Even though I may never visit these locations, perhaps not even the state, these photos and your detailed description provide so much of the character of the place that I feel I know it already. Fantastic! Thanks again.

Back