The death of photography?

Holy Cheeses. Is it really like this...? It's just not worth it, even if it's one of the most famous paintings in history.

I've been in that part of the Louvre ONE time, over 32 years ago, and it was like that THEN. Great painting, but that's just ridiculous... You pretty much couldn't get close to it and if you did, you didn't have any time to admire and contemplate it - you were OUTTA there. Seeing that again is not on my bucket list...

-Ray

Our society is increasingly filled with images. There will always be a demand for good ones. Most people can write, but good authors still stand out. It's just ludicrous to talk about the end of a medium because more people are doing it. It's just changing into more of a clearinghouse than limited sources. I see great images on this forum every day, and I don't see cell phones making this go away.

I've been in that part of the Louvre ONE time, over 32 years ago, and it was like that THEN. Great painting, but that's just ridiculous... You pretty much couldn't get close to it and if you did, you didn't have any time to admire and contemplate it - you were OUTTA there. Seeing that again is not on my bucket list...

-Ray

If you go in the off-season (like I did two weeks ago) it´s not that bad.

Being a very frequent visitor of museums, I just don´t get why anybody would want to take a picture of a painting. If you want to remember the painting, just buy the book or catalog at the museum's gift store. Generally, the photo will be of much better quality.

Cheers,

Antonio

I took a better picture of the Mona Lisa getting mobbed

gCmy6UE.jpg

That's crazy.

My personal thought is that if anything it will bring about the death of compact cameras.

Cell phone cameras are getting better and better, but they have their limitations.

Better photography systems will still exist.as those of us who want more than a simple system will allow.

I was gonna say the same thing. I was there 15 or so years ago (in Paris for one day, taking the Chunnel over from London) and it was just as bad :D

photoshop didnt killed painting
illustrator didnt killed real illustrators (pen and paper)
computer music didnt killed real music, bands or real instruments
phones wont kill "real" photography or photographers...

all those things will and wont kill the "real" thing, the only problem I see it just makes SHITLOADS of crap floating the internet which makes difficult to differentiate the "real thing" and makes it "harder" for real artist to emerge. thats all.

i.e, everyone who knows how to play with photoshop is a designer right? i mean, why pay 5 times more for a real designer while "i know my friends friend daughter who knows how to to do it in photoshop" right?

The only thing that it does worry me, is hopefully in the future people will not consider "every man with a white coat" a doctor.

I was gonna say the same thing. I was there 15 or so years ago (in Paris for one day, taking the Chunnel over from London) and it was just as bad :D

I was there about five years ago and it wasn't that crowded. But... a sign nearby clearly said no flash photography in several languages. But there the happy tourists were, flashing away with their DSLRs and kit lenses. I remember how irritated I was about that at the time. The flashes. Not the cameras.

Back