Advice Wanted The dilemma of feeding the wildlife

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
I have held strong to my convictions of not feeding the wildlife, no matter the temptation, no picture is worth the risk of making wildlife dependent or needy of human interaction. While it is arguable that our impact towards wildlife has made some of them already very dependent on our generosity (bird feeders) or laziness/incompetence (rubbish/trash). I can see the benefit and even need-ness of bird feeders, the most common birds are interacting every day with "us", Common/House Sparrows, (Full Rainbow Coloured) Tits, Robins, etc.
I do not want to put food out for animals just to get a shot, it feels like cheating because I am not documenting the moment (it would be staging, which is not something I would do). What added this thought to the back of my mind was that the bird food I bought for my little ones (a pair of Zebra Finches) they did not like at all (well, actually, ASDA messed up my order and delivered the wrong food) and I don't know what to do with 3 KGs of it. One thing I might consider is spreading them at the local park.
(My little Finches are so picky with their food, it's hard to find what they would like to eat).

Last edited:
if your parks are anything like ours here in the US, major government maintained parks have wildlife feeding areas that they keep loaded up all year round. They may take the donation of the feed if you care to check that route.
... plus check with any local animal rescue organizations. Most of the local ones in our area operate on miniscule budgets and appreciate any donations, especially items that they go through a lot of like food.

I live in a small town and we have only one park, smaller then a football field (which ever version of football you can think of), they don't have much staff as they only employ local gardening organizations.
We don't have that many rescue organizations locally either, most of them are farms that are quite far from on foot traveling, we do have a local vet hospital but they charge so much money (it's the closest thing to feeling how expensive the US health system works) I don't think they needed donations.

I will spread them under the trees at the park and if there's any leftovers I can give them to the ducks and swans at the lakes right next to the park.

I don't know why even trying to think about doing makes me feel like I'm cheating and undeserving of the pictures.
You would be surprised just how many of the best bird photographs are taken from hides in the vicinity of purpose built sets complete with strategically placed bait.

I think so long as it's not a permanent fixture where the bird population simply expects unlimited food to be put out every day, it's okay.

I tend to put food out for birds in colder months when there are few insects around. The squirrels do well out of it too.

If i get some pictures out of the arrangement then it's a win win.

I do too .... and although I might be filling the feeders every couple of days, I only take my camera out now and then. The primary purpose is to feed the birds. I notice though, that sparrows are the most voracious, and have read in the past how well adapted they are to whatever situation they find themselves in.

Birds I wouldn't hesitate to feed through the winter, preferably from where it is possibly to shoot them. A variety of seeds, especially sun flower, nuts and tallow seems to be the preferred and recommended feed up here.

Then again, temps down to the minus 30 Cs are not unheard of here, nor a meter or more of snow either so there is that, as is the yearly recommendation from the bird conservation orgs to do it.

Is it staged?

I would think of it as more of a facilitation of opportunity, rather than staged as such. The birds are no less quick, jittery and free to roam on or around the feeding station, than they are in the wild, foraging. :drinks:

Have to check your area. Some places its illegal to feed wildlife. Here its a big no no to feed ducks/geese (city ordinance). We used to do it as kids in the 70's. Back then it was mostly ducks. Now geese took over pretty much and are a total nuisiance. I refer to them as flying rats.

Habituation is the issue, especially with predators. But if it's a feed or die, well birdseed it is. Everything is a hard choice in today's world. I have about an acer with a stream and lots of "forest" on my property. I have a live and let live attitude to the animals that share my place and sometimes my wife or I will not recycle but put various foods "outside" if there is snow on the ground. Our cats are indoor only, so bird feeders are year-round (lots of hawks and owls take their "Toal"). Some things are the Gordian Knot....

Back