Fuji { The DSLR Is Dead } | Things.That.Make.You.Go.Hmmm.Again.

Relating to what Flysurfer said in post #38.
I just returned from a fundraising event held at my four year old's preschool, for the school. Just about every mommy (and interestingly only one dad) had a dSLR swinging around their necks. And most of them were literally lining up to take the exact same photo(s). It's bizarre witnessing this. Most of them found out this past week that I'm a photographer, and were offering their dSLRs for me to use (which is precisely why I didn't want them knowing about my profession but the wifey likes to brag:)). I don't want to be working when I'm spending time with my son, and the iPhone's movie mode works well enough to preserve any events I choose to preserve for memory lane. For me, good quality (for the current batch of mobile phones) video capture has replaced the P&S. don't get me wrong, I do candid photos too- I just use the rangefinder for them. I begrudgingly use a dSLR at work but whenever I upgrade to the new M (won't happen for a few years yet) which has liveview, I'll then have absolutely no need for a dSLR (but I don't do Sports Illustrated type photography, nor do I shoot in adverse environments).

Perhaps they'll be replaced by MILCs with kit zooms in full auto mode ;)

I am sure that's what Fuji hopes. As you know, Fujirumors reported (based on an Asian website) that the next X-Mount camera will target mainstream users and budgets. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Fuji isn't very well equipped to really conquer the mainstream market due to their lack of experience regarding connectivity and apps. Fuji certainly isn't the next Samsung/Sony/Google/Apple, and that's a real problem if you want to go mainstream. While there is a niche market of enthusiasts who like retro cameras with old-fashioned manual controls and a minimum of electronic gadgetry, mainstream users won't have that. They prefer cameras that connect to their iPads, smartphones, computers and social networks, and do so in an intuitive, non-quirky way (think Android or iOS interface). There's also the video thing: Mainstream users often want to record, edit and share video. They won't accept an expensive camera with weaker video (especially software-wise) than what their smartphone offers. So I'm not overly optimistic regarding the mainstream plan. I feel that Fuji would have to make a major investment (technology & expert manpower) in order to conquer that market and compete head to head with Google, Samsung, Sony, Apple and the likes. OTOH, the cheap P&S market is now actually dead, at least for Fuji. So they are getting out of this market, most of the cheap P&S models will vanish. Smartphones have this market now. Fuji's entry level P&S cameras can't really compete with them, they don't run apps and Android, and they don't easily connect.

Relating to what Flysurfer said in post #38.
I just returned from a fundraising event held at my four year old's preschool, for the school. Just about every mommy (and interestingly only one dad) had a dSLR swinging around their necks. .

They have DSLRs swinging on their necks because:
1) They are now affordable
2) This is what they see the pros use.

Until more pros start using some type of MILC body (and moms and pops see this), the APS-C DSLR reign by parents will continue.

I would debate that the OM-D & GH2/GH3 are beginning to change perspectives - because they look like DSLRs...

I think "[put something here] is dead" is overused. I work with computers and have been reading "PC is dead" (and for PC I mean desktop computer) for almost a decade (the usual suspects: mobile phones, tablets or game consoles). Did they dissapear? No. What did happen was people who only used them for "minor tasks" (email and browsing the net) now have alternatives, but there are a lot of work where the usual computer is just more useful.

Same happens with the DSLR. They will probably get a smaller chunk of the cake but will remain one of the big players. The ones more in danger, in my opinion, are entry level P&S as the are being replaced by smartphones. Most people don't care about quality as long they are decent enough to remember "that moment".

I watched this on Friday, and I have to say I like Zack, I think he does great work and the Fuji cameras work well for him... but I found this particular video a little off-putting personally.

I do believe he loves the X100S, and I generally have no problem with Zack's typical enthusiastic style. This specific video though was so over the top that it fell flat for me. It's not that I think he's a paid shill or anything like that, I just think it felt unnecessarily full of hyperbole. Maybe this is just me, but I also felt his delivery was a little weird. If I say something like "this is the best camera ever made!" I'm pretty sure you'd hear that exclamation point in my voice ;) For some reason, watching this it felt like Zack was reading a script he'd pre-written or something... just didn't flow naturally to me which made it feel even less authentic.

For Zack, it's probably true the DSLR is dead; if you shoot in a studio or do street photography or work in specific environments then yeah sure, why not? It wouldn't be as big an attention getter, but his statement would be 100% accurate if he'd just said "for me, the DSLR is dead". It's just not necessarily true for everybody else.

Anyway, on the topic of his assertions themselves here's my take, as someone that has been shooting an X100S and a DSLR:

1) My X100S certainly isn't performing at a level that I feel like I could throw out my DSLR. AF performance alone ensures that; despite all the rave reviews I'm finding the X100S a slight incremental improvement over the X-E1 or X100, and it's just not in the same league as a DSLR even for basic AF-S. When Zack talked about the camera responding every time he needed it to, I felt like asking if he's using the same camera, because shooting at a wedding I had no end of slow or outright failed focus.

2) The X100S is lighter, smaller, aesthetically pleasing and fun to shoot. But it's also obviously not up to the level of my D800 in resolution, noise performance, AF speed and tracking, or even configurability (I'm looking at you, exposure compensation being disabled in Auto-ISO...).

Understand: I like my X100S, I'm not complaining about it (if I was truly unhappy, I'd just sell it and move on). But it's not a DSLR killer, more like a "DSLR buddy" as far as I'm concerned ;)

Understand: I like my X100S, I'm not complaining about it (if I was truly unhappy, I'd just sell it and move on). But it's not a DSLR killer, more like a "DSLR buddy" as far as I'm concerned ;)

I'm praying for you now....I really am....
With all the heaps of praise towards the x100s, for you to make the above statement might mean personal body guards....;)

And secondly, he admits that there are still uses for dSLRs (see second quote)- thus seemingly contradicting himself.
I neither doubt his enthusiasm for the X100s not his skill as a photographer. But I do think, as pointed out previously, he makes grandiose statements to ensure his name remains active in the photography community thus further driving his business.

Some people are just loose with words and speak in grandiose terms. It can be well meant and a personality thing. This type of person will turn of some folks and turn on others. Yes it can also be good for blog business, but I don't think it's possible to determine whether the personality type resulted in good business or desire for business resulted in the personality type.

Interestingly, I sometimes find myself using exaggerated, loose words for fun with my family and friends, but they know when not to take me seriously. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing the same on a blog, but I don't fault anyone else for doing so.

I don't agree with Jay. I don't have a problem replacing my FF camera with the X100S.

Gary

Caveats Being:

1) Within the same focal lengths of the X100S;
2) Non-action/non-tracking subjects; and
3) Subject(s) being within the framework of how and what I generally shoot.

-:)-

PS- I have sorta ... already done that, having given Sarah, my oldest daughter, a FF camera.
G

Homecoming-6.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sarah

They have DSLRs swinging on their necks because:
1) They are now affordable
2) This is what they see the pros use.

Until more pros start using some type of MILC body (and moms and pops see this), the APS-C DSLR reign by parents will continue.

I would debate that the OM-D & GH2/GH3 are beginning to change perspectives - because they look like DSLRs...

I think you are correct.
I'll share two experiences where family members asked me to recommend cameras.
The first: I recommended the NEX 5-n with the kit lens. He purchased it and couldn't be happier. The thing does every thing he needs it to do, and does it well (enough for him), which is to take photos of his baby.
The second, and this is where you're assertions ring true: this particular person wants to make short films and be able to take good photos (portraits specifically) with subject isolation via DOF. His initial budget for accomplishing this is $700, and than adding to the kit as time passes by. Good video controls are of paramount concern. My recommendation expanding his budget a little bit, purchasing a used GH2, and rest is to be spent on a quality zoom (he already has microphones and sound related equipment). Yet due to the perceived affordability of dSLRs, he couldn't get past the Canon Rebel series with the kit door-knobs, errr lens, bundle. He's now realizing (and as I told him) that needs to spend more on everything-tripods, batteries, etc. And that quality glass for Canon costs more than twice its equivalents in m4/3. He's also realized that his gear has no resale value. But damnit, "all" the pros use dSLRs.

I don't agree with Jay. I don't have a problem replacing my FF camera with the X100S.

Gary

Caveats Being:

1) Within the same focal lengths of the X100S;
2) Non-action/non-tracking subjects; and
3) Subject(s) being within the framework of how and what I generally shoot.

-:)-

Right, so we're in agreement :rofl:

I'm with you, I don't mind taking my X100S instead of the DSLR (or my m4/3 kit), and I have done so. But... with caveats ;)

Right, so we're in agreement :rofl:

I'm with you, I don't mind taking my X100S instead of the DSLR (or my m4/3 kit), and I have done so. But... with caveats ;)

Yeah, but my caveats are so narrow that I'm giving my FF stuff away. (The only reason I tossed up the caveats is because we're on the internet and people pick on every single word.)

-G-

Back