The Effects of the Lens on Camera Overheating

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I've had a purely hypothetical interest in the overheating problems of the new Canon R6/R5 and the Sony A7Siii. I say hypothetical because while I have virtually no interest in video, I do teach thermodynamics and practical heat issues do interest me. This guy was one of only two testers that hit a heat shutdown using the Sony A7Siii. He originally thought it was because he was out in bright sunshine on a hot day and the radiative heating caused the problem. However, Sony was unable to reproduce the effect. He then thought about the effects of the lens. He was using a small plastic Samyang prime whereas most of the other testers were using 2.8 zooms. It appears from his tests int his video that the large metal lenses provide so heat sink effects for the camera. His style is very thorough but unfortunately he talks like a chemistry professor. Still, it's an interesting if somewhat slow-paced video.

I was only mildly intrigued, but when the opening credits stretched past the one minute mark, I figured I should probably be more productive.
As I said, he is a bit pedantic. However he is also careful and thorough. He definitely missed his calling as a boring old professor. (Note i say that with great respect.) His results make sense when you think about it. Why couldn't this big hunk of metal on the body act as heat sink?

Back