Canon The Empire Strikes Back - Canon Announces Rebel T4i/650D and 40mm Pancake Lens

Thanks for those samples! The lens does looks good.

I only wish it were slightly wider (for APS-C), but it's a great focal length for full-frame.

I did a pretty lengthy writeup on one of my blogs that addresses this very thought. I agree with you. On FF cameras, it's amazing for walkaround. On my old Rebel XSi, it's just a tad too long. I can shoot with the 28/1.8 on the XSi and get great results and the package isn't much bigger than my 5D/40 combo.

If you're interested, you can see my writeup here.

I can shoot with the 28/1.8 on the XSi and get great results and the package isn't much bigger than my 5D/40 combo.

That's what I shoot with wide, the 28 1.8. I don't mind 50mm though either, turns out like 80 with the crop so the 40mm on my XSi wouldn't bother me however having a 28 and a 50 compact macro [my cake and eat it too walk around] I don't know that the 40mm as good as it looks is justifiable in my case.

That's what I shoot with wide, the 28 1.8. I don't mind 50mm though either, turns out like 80 with the crop so the 40mm on my XSi wouldn't bother me however having a 28 and a 50 compact macro [my cake and eat it too walk around] I don't know that the 40mm as good as it looks is justifiable in my case.

I agree. With the 28 and 50 already in your walk around kit, I don't know that you'd benefit much from the 40. Especially since your 50 has macro. I have the 28, 35, 50 and 85, but bought the 40 specifically for its small size. If it was just a 40mm lens without being as small as it is, I'd never have even considered it.

Back